News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

S&S Classic Components

Started by Glen, February 24, 2008, 04:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

I received a flyer in the mail a few days ago from S&S Classic Components in regard to the bronze gear in the 346 flat head engine. 

The flyer does not say much but it does give a web site address http://www.ssclassiccomponents.com/ that does give a detailed description of the failure of the bronze gear and the analysis.  The upshot is that in order to cure this problem you have to send them the distributor tower and shaft, and complete oil pump for exchange. They will send you rebuilt parts with all new components made to correct factory specs.  This will cost $1295 plus shipping of $25.     

I would like to hear comments from the members here.  The price is a little steep but I am inclined to do this as I have not started the overhaul of my engine yet and it will get that part of the job out of the way early. 

Comments?

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Tom Hall 7485

If it's the part I think it is, All Cadillacs of the Forties (Ed Cholakian) has it for less money. 

Interesting that the buyer gets to pay postage on top of the $1,295 S&S wants for the part.

I suspect there is a certain amount of panic peddling going on here in regards to the potential failure of this gear.  In 30 years of club membership and after research into Cadillac WWII tank engines, I  have not learned about any design or manufacturing defect in the gear the factory installed.

See if you can find a posting on this Internet site about a failure of this gear and let us know where it is, please.  You can use the "search" button near the top.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Bill Ingler #7799

Click on the hyperlink in Glen`s posting then click information when you get the web site and read what is covered in the $1295. Not just the bronze gear but new gears in the oil pump as well as new bushings.