News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 exhaust pipe wrapping

Started by ERIC CLAUSEN, February 25, 2008, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ERIC CLAUSEN

Here's something I'm guessing most don't know, while scrounging parts for my engine I found an original untouched 1937 Cadillac engine.
Two things i found interesting about it, one was the exhaust pipe, it was not on;y wrapped but had a steel stamped cover over the wrapping.
The other was the rod bolts were all attached with flathead screws not bolts.
Finding a big enough screwdriver was almost as hard as finding the engine.
Found a set of 1/2" drive large screwdrivers at Harbor Freight very inexpensive too.
Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.
Eric

Jack Mcilwraith

Eric,years ago when I bought my 1939  75 series, it had this outer wrap. I thought it looked so "unCadillac" that I removed it and threw it away. later on I had to re-make one for authenticity.

Walter Youshock

Eric,

From what I can gather, this was a common practice on Cadillacs for many years, ending around 1959 or 1960, when Cadillac went to a single exhaust in 1961.

This was a heat shield with an asbestos liner in a flexible tubing to cover the exhaust pipe to the muffler or mufflers.  It was to minimize sound and equalize the heat entering the passenger compartment and working to properly utilize the exhaust heat to warm the engine during idle.

My '57 still had these covers and, according to the Shop Manual, they were supposed to be replaced or reinstalled when exhaust work was done.  Most shops threw them away as they were a pain to reinstall.  Plus, they promoted rust in that part of the system.

If you can, save them. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just FYI, JC Whitney makes a stainless pipe that will fit over the normal exhaust
pipes from the headers and looks very original (for mid '50's cars).  It's worth
checking out as it's cheap, easily flexes (has serrations in it to flex).

They sell it as a universal system replacement.  Just buy a size slightly larger
than your exhaust pipe and your in.  Sorry -- no idea what to do about the
asbestos filler, since that's not available anymore.  A shame, since it sure made
those cars run quiet.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Philippe M. Ruel

There was an asbestos wrap on my '52, too. I removed it as it was scattering and part of it fell on my head when I started touching it. There were rust holes in exhaust pipe under it.
I am currently looking for a replacement because my new stainless exhaust is quite noisy and dissipates a lot of heat in the passenger compartment. I found some replacement products at Summit Racing :
(1) clamp-on heat shields, 6" x 2'  : http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE%2D11620&N=700+400356+308474+115&autoview=sku

They make it in 1', 2' or 3' long.

(2) exhaust wrap, 2" x 50" : http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D350101&N=700+4294918557+115&autoview=sku

They make it in various widths and lengths.

None of them is original but they can easily be removed and are said to be efficient for race cars, why not for Cadillacs ? Plus, you won't find asbestos-based products anywhere but shipbreakers in India...
1952 60 Special in France.

Fred Zwicker #23106

As we all know, asbestos is no longer available.  The ideas shown in previous posts might work, but look far from original.  Through one of my friends in the CLC I located a neat looking product at McMaster Carr. www.mcmaster.com

Their Part No. is 8819 K55  (or 28-83 8819 K55) and is described as "1000 Degree Fahrenheit Fiberglass Sleeving, 2" ID, 1-5/64" to 2-3/16" Bundle Diameter".  Last summer, I bought 4 ft. of it at $1.42 per foot, plus shipping charges.  This sleeve slips over the outside of the exhaust pipe, as it stretches as needed and is a nice snug fit.

To take care of the frayed ends where cut, I folded back about one inch of the ends to the inside and sewed it in place. I have an industrial sewing machine to do this, but it could be done by hand if necessary.  As you can see by the attached picture, it looks quite nice and is white in color, similar to the original.

I also located some flat fold-back clamps (not aviation) and I don't remember where these came from, but remember that such type clamps were once used for attaching pipe insulation to steam pipes in a drycleaners that I owned many years ago.  I put the smooth part of the clamp where it shows (towards side hood panel) and the part that folds back and clamps was located where it does not show (towards engine)

McVeys also has a substitute for this.  I am not sure, but think that their material is a long flat product that is wrapped around the exhaust pipe similar to wrapping a broken ankle or leg.  It also requires clamps. McVeys is located in Merriam, KS  Phone 913-722-0707. They list this as an "Exhaust Insulation Kit" for $95 plus shipping.  That type of insulation would be easier to install on an existing exhaust pipe, as the above sleeve was installed when exhaust pipe was off the car and had an open end at rear of the pipe, so that the sleeve could slide in place.

Attached is a picture of my exhaust of my restored 1939 LaSalle taken this morning.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I have several of the original exhaust pipe metal sleeves from late 30's big series cars. I also have an original large heat shield plate that bolts to the frame or body. 2 pieces of metal with asbestos sandwiched between. I believe it came off a 37 75 series car. Please contact me directly. Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have the oem wrap off my 49 fastback exhaust with the oem ties.

:<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500