News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'53 Fleetwood or the '56 Series 62

Started by Andy, February 26, 2008, 09:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I have a choice to make.  A 1953 Fleetwood w/o air conditioning or a 1956 Series 62 with A/C.

Both cars are immaculate.  Both are w/i 10,000 miles of each other on the odometer.  The '53 was recently restored while the '56 is in just plain great condition.  The '53 has a rear bumper from a later year with the dual exhausts under the bumper and not through it as per original spec.  Other than that, both cars have all the equipment they had when they were manufactured.

I'm looking for a car that I can drive cross-country as easily as I can drive it cross town.

Neither car has a working clock and both cars are priced at exactly the same sticker.  What would you do?

Thanks.

Andy.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Now, that is a tough question.

A bit like asking which is best, Black or White?

But, I would be going with anything with working A/C.

Non working AC could be very expensive to get back to working order.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Buy them both?  Maybe you should keep looking and come up with 2 or 3 more and make the decision really difficult.  Personally, I would take the '56 for no really good reason except that I like the looks of the car more. 
"I'm looking for a car that I can drive cross-country ......"  For a car to go traveling in I would think you would certainly want AC.  If the '56 is an all original car and never touched mechanically except for routine items, I would be a little concerned about the transmission.  The '56's had the first of a new breed of automatics and had some teething problems, with a few updates they were fine.

;)

OK, Bruce posted his reply while I was typing mine.  I certainly agree about the AC, if it isn't working in the '56 expect to spend some dollars.  They can still be repaired but not by just any local AC shop as a rule.  Putting an aftermarket AC in the '53 would also be a relatively expensive proposition.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Andy

the '56 has a/c and it works fine.  The '53 never had the a/c to begin with. 

It seems to me that the '53 is more car for the same money.  And i'm hearing from a lot of people that the '56 transmissions were "problematic" to say the least.
If I can't eat it, scratch it, drive it or change its channel, then I'm not interested.

Philippe M. Ruel

If you want to drive your car  you may be concerned with fuel mileage and prefer the 1953 : the 331 ci engine was resized to 365 in 1956 to deliver more power than competitors, not to save fuel. Both have the pleasant 4-speed Hydramatic.

The 1956 probably has power steering and brakes, electric windows and front seat (and maybe a 6-way seat), the 1953 may have power steering but not power brakes, and either manual winders or hydro-lectric windows and front seat. In this case, check if the hydro-lectric system works well : it is specific, being the last year of hydro-lectric and the first year of 12-volt system. For the same reason, many electrical accessories (radio, gauges...) are 1953-specific.

The 1953 rear bumper is from an earlier year (1950-51). Dual exhaust outlets through bumper are now reproduced in stainless steel at a high price.
1952 60 Special in France.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Andy, the 53 Fleetwood; is it the 60 Series (60 Special) or the 75 Series? All 53 cars above engine #84799, had the Dynaflow Twin Turbine Transmission except the Eldorados and the Series 75 cars. The easiest way to tell is if the car has a park (or"P") position on the gear selector. The Hydramatics did not have this. Although the Dynaflow is smooth as glass (no shifting), it is not as efficient as the Hydramatics and will result in lower gas milage. This may be a concern if you do a lot of touring.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I would normally go with the "high-priced spread." However, however nice the '53 is, you are going to have to make about two or three thousand dollars to get the back bumper correctly done if you have any urge at all to show the car. Having the more original '56 would be a real plus. I had a '56 Fleetwood that I drove 40 miles and had to limp to AAMCO (The guy had been "Pouring" Hydramatic fluid in by the case and hadn't told me.) After I had the transmission overhauled, the car was trouble free in that respect. This was back when it was an every day car. Rebuilding a transmission would be lots cheaper than re-doing the air on the '53 and messing with the bumper.
Go for the '56 and I look forward to judging it someday for the Past President's Award for Preservation.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Andy

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned about the rear bumper.  Truth be told, I prefer the under-mount exhaust as it doesn't cause as much wear on the rear bumper.  Originality is important, but not my #1 concern.  And I have just learned an interesting point...  The '53 was in the Imperial Palace Collection and they were the ones who commissioned the restoration back when they had their cars restored by the inmates at the local prison.  I have to believe that an I.P. car is going to be in nice shape.

In terms of the hydromatic windows, they do work perfectly at this time.  And if they fail, I'll replace them with electric units.  If I go with the '53, I don't know that I'd ever install the a/c as I can drive something else when it's too hot.  I'm also thinking that an oversized radiator and engine air conditioner would probably get installed to keep that big power plant cool.

I've spoken on the phone with three experts and all three recommend the '53.

I'm still confused.
If I can't eat it, scratch it, drive it or change its channel, then I'm not interested.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha, talking to "Experts".   

Now, that is where you problems are going to start.

Seems like you aren't listening to your heart.

It sounds like you are wanting to take your own personal thoughts out of the equation, and are wanting people to tell you what you need, and not what you want?

Sometimes, decisions are really hard to make.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Andy

Having slept on it and thought about it.  I've decided I want the '53.  It's more car for the same money with a more reliable drive train and nicer (and more correct) interior.

There - that was easy.

veesixteen

Is that the '53 with the incorrect interior trim?
Like a few others on this thread, I would go for the '56;  it's purely a personal thing, because that was my first "old Cadillac" and I think the lines are terrific.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Andy on February 26, 2008, 09:26:34 PM
I have a choice to make.  A 1953 Fleetwood w/o air conditioning or a 1956 Series 62 with A/C.

Both cars are immaculate.  Both are w/i 10,000 miles of each other on the odometer.  The '53 was recently restored while the '56 is in just plain great condition.  The '53 has a rear bumper from a later year with the dual exhausts under the bumper and not through it as per original spec.  Other than that, both cars have all the equipment they had when they were manufactured.

I'm looking for a car that I can drive cross-country as easily as I can drive it cross town.

Neither car has a working clock and both cars are priced at exactly the same sticker.  What would you do?

Thanks.

Andy.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Andy

The '56 is the one with the original interior.  The west-coast '53 has a new interior that was done correctly with the right materials.  The east-coast '53 has a new interior that was done well with the wrong materials in the wrong color.

35-709

After all of this, I would still go with the '56 ---- now more than ever as they say.  You can find someone to give that tranny a going over I am sure.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2