News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 SIX WAY POWER SEAT

Started by TommyO, February 28, 2008, 04:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyO

;)  Hello out here in caddy land.  Six way power seat gears? Something gave out on the seat gears, last weekend  when I took the tank out for a sunday drive.  Any advice, replacement gear availability?, etc. greatly appreciated.  Thanks in Advance!\
tomeo
57 series 62 convertible
Tomeo

35-709

Have you taken it apart?  Are you sure it is the "gears", doubtful but possible.  If you are capable, take the transmission apart and check, sometimes the old factory grease hardens and doesn't let things engage as they should.  Sometimes the drive cables break (they're like fat speedometer cables), sometimes a relay goes bad and the motor runs but the seat won't move.  Sometimes it is as simple as a bad/dirty/etc. ground.

Try this first -----

Go to --- http://www.cadillactim.com/   
Click on Tech Help & Free Info on the left.
Then click on Power seat troubleshooting in the middle.  This will take you to a document covering what to do and how.  Hopefully it will contain the information you will need to find out just what is wrong with the seat.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

AH!  Thank you Lou.  Excellent post.  I should have waited to see if someone else responded before I did.  I have done battle with a 1960 seat and others from the mid 60's on up but not the earlier ones.
Certainly underscores once more the value of having a shop manual for the car one is dealing with.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

John Morris #23947

The 57 has no cables or transmission. It has 1 motor with 3 electric actuators, all 3 on 1 worm gear. Each actuator engages or disengages a seperate "lever" assembly moving the seat 6 different ways, depending if the worm gear is going one way or the other, and which actuator is engaged. I have seen a wire come off an actuator causing failure. 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.