News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Brake Problem

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 01, 2008, 05:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , When my car sit for a week or two My Brake peddle would go to the floor .However i would not leak any brake fluid .  After i would pump the peddle i would have brakes, but in my opinion the peddle was really low . I purchased a rebuilt Master cylinder  and had the brakes bled by a very competent Mechanic . The brakes seamed fine . After two weeks of sitting the brake peddle goes to the floor again . I pumped the peddle again . and i am back to square one .  The master cylinder i purchaded was rebuilt  not resleeved .  I am not leaking any brake fluid .  i am almost tempted to replace the master Cylinder with a resleeved one .  I need good brakes .  Thank Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

Have you adjusted the brake shoes on all four wheels to factory specifications?

It could be that the brakes are out of adjustment, and the travel is so great that the first application of the Pedal is "working" the shoes to near the Drums, then everything is working normally, until the car is parked, then the Spring Pressures are retracting the shoes all the way back.

I know that the Residual Pressure Valves in the M/Cylinder should be working correctly, but if the "Return Springs" in the wheels are soft, it might take a while for the retraction to take full effect.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on March 01, 2008, 05:56:08 PM
Hello , When my car sit for a week or two My Brake peddle would go to the floor .However i would not leak any brake fluid .  After i would pump the peddle i would have brakes, but in my opinion the peddle was really low . I purchased a rebuilt Master cylinder  and had the brakes bled by a very competent Mechanic . The brakes seamed fine . After two weeks of sitting the brake peddle goes to the floor again . I pumped the peddle again . and i am back to square one .  The master cylinder i purchaded was rebuilt  not resleeved .  I am not leaking any brake fluid .  i am almost tempted to replace the master Cylinder with a resleeved one .  I need good brakes .  Thank Bill
03-02-08
BILL, Bruce is correct
, make sure that all four(4) wheels are adjusted to factory specs. (bet if you tried the brakes after just a few minutes, that the "peddle" would go to the floor.)
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Bill:

I assume that you have power brakes.  If you've rebuilt everything else and are still losing
fluid (with no leaks) then the only thing I can think of as a problem would be the power
brake unit.

Have you checked it out?  If these are faulty internally they can "suck" brake fluid back into
the manifold and burn it as you drive.  Take the vacuum hose off to the manifold and check
it for fluid -- I bet it's wet.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Mike, thanks for your response . I checked out the vacuum and it was dry . The vacuum hose is connected to the Carburetor  on my car . , I had a guy put the car up on the left and found a slight leak on the front driver side wheel cylinder. I hope this solves my problem . ..I really do appreciate your  input . Everybody is so helpful in  this great club . Thanks Again Bill author=Mike Josephic link=topic=100832.msg109767#msg109767 date=1204517867]

Bill:

I assume that you have power brakes.  If you've rebuilt everything else and are still losing
fluid (with no leaks) then the only thing I can think of as a problem would be the power
brake unit.

Have you checked it out?  If these are faulty internally they can "suck" brake fluid back into
the manifold and burn it as you drive.  Take the vacuum hose off to the manifold and check

Mike

[/quote]
Quote from: Mike Josephic on March 02, 2008, 11:17:47 PM

Bill:

brake unit.

Mike

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS