News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Civility on this Message Board

Started by GBrown #8092, March 08, 2008, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

As you may or may not have noticed, the Moderators have removed several recently posted messages.
Those message were removed because they were not in keeping with the intent and decorum of this Board.
This Board is intended for the communication of those interested in Cadillacs and LaSalles,
not as a stage for those engaging in personal attacks against Club officials, including Board Moderators.

If your message was deleted, there was a reason and you were notified. [The except may be if I did it today as this is the first day, since I have had the capacity to do so, that I have felt the need.]
If you have a problem with that decision respond to the Moderator that deleted it,- off line.
If you are not satisfied with that decision, or any other decision made by anyone in a position of authority in this club, escalate it, and the appropriate person will deal with it, but his is not the place to do so.

Remember, this Board is an open forum, and all your posts are visible to anyone who cares to read them.

Glenn L. Brown
President
Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Inc

Johnny F #662

My problem was not with having my message or deleted, but being locked out of a topic that I started.  Civility works both ways.  A simple message stating that my message was moved due to it being off topic was all that was needed, which wasn't done.  Why was it necessary to lock me out of the thread?

eam

Quote from: GBrown on March 08, 2008, 06:02:20 PM
As you may or may not have noticed, the Moderators have removed several recently posted messages.
Those message were removed because they were not in keeping with the intent and decorum of this Board.
This Board is intended for the communication of those interested in Cadillacs and LaSalles,
not as a stage for those engaging in personal attacks against Club officials, including Board Moderators.

If your message was deleted, there was a reason and you were notified. [The except may be if I did it today as this is the first day, since I have had the capacity to do so, that I have felt the need.]
If you have a problem with that decision respond to the Moderator that deleted it,- off line.
If you are not satisfied with that decision, or any other decision made by anyone in a position of authority in this club, escalate it, and the appropriate person will deal with it, but his is not the place to do so.

Remember, this Board is an open forum, and all your posts are visible to anyone who cares to read them.

Glenn L. Brown
President
AMEN AGAIN!  Maybe what some of these characters need is a short course in"Board Forum Ethics" and who knows they "MIGHT" learn something.  Keep up the good work in controlling this forum for Cadillac topics of interest to all of us and no more of this nonsense.  EAM

Johnny F #662

Quote from: EAM- clc 17806 on March 08, 2008, 10:49:59 PM
Quote from: GBrown on March 08, 2008, 06:02:20 PM

Glenn L. Brown
President
AMEN AGAIN!  Maybe what some of these characters need is a short course in"Board Forum Ethics" and who knows they "MIGHT" learn something.  Keep up the good work in controlling this forum for Cadillac topics of interest to all of us and no more of this nonsense.  EAM

Perhaps, you might like to give the short course on "Board Forum Ethics", to us less educated individuals, as you see them.

LBF

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 08, 2008, 08:07:58 PM
My problem was not with having my message or deleted, but being locked out of a topic that I started.  Civility works both ways.  A simple message stating that my message was moved due to it being off topic was all that was needed, which wasn't done.  Why was it necessary to lock me out of the thread?

I think that you will find that the thread was locked for everyone, not just you.  As for why it was locked, I think that has already been explained by one of our fine moderators.  Really, is it so difficult to just be a little bit more even-headed about all of this "message board" stuff?  It is just a car club, after all.
Matthew Taylor

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 09, 2008, 05:37:54 AM
Perhaps, you might like to give the short course on "Board Forum Ethics", to us less educated individuals, as you see them.
Board Ethics is simply a matter of "Manners"   End of lesson!

It takes a minimum of "two to tango", and there is really nothing served by flogging a fellow CLC Member who is trying his or her best to smooth troubled waters.

Sometimes, the best of us, and the worst, can get really passionate about something, to the point of being somewhat sensitive about anything.

I suggest that the Posters of any message, take the time to read what they are about to send into cyberspace, and edit if necessary.

We are all human, hopefully, and life is too short to scream and moan.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: LBF on March 09, 2008, 06:31:32 AM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 08, 2008, 08:07:58 PM

I think that you will find that the thread was locked for everyone, not just you.  As for why it was locked, I think that has already been explained by one of our fine moderators.  Really, is it so difficult to just be a little bit more even-headed about all of this "message board" stuff?  It is just a car club, after all.

.....and as Alfred Hitchcock said, "It's just a movie".  Yes it is just a car club message board, but some of the powers to be see the postings as Papal Bulls.

I am not totally sure, but I do believe that only I was locked out of the topic.  The moderator told me, that if I had something to add to the topic, he would unlock it for me.

It was never explained to me why I was locked out, other then I went off topic.  Is that really sufficient reason to lock someone out?  Apparently there were no objections to my reply, since it was merely moved to its own topic starter.  I just don't follow the logic.  If my reply, while being off topic, was still within the bounds of the rules of the message board, why was I locked out of my own topic?

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 09, 2008, 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 09, 2008, 05:37:54 AM
Board Ethics is simply a matter of "Manners"   End of lesson!

It takes a minimum of "two to tango", and there is really nothing served by flogging a fellow CLC Member who is trying his or her best to smooth troubled waters.

Sometimes, the best of us, and the worst, can get really passionate about something, to the point of being somewhat sensitive about anything.

I suggest that the Posters of any message, take the time to read what they are about to send into cyberspace, and edit if necessary.

We are all human, hopefully, and life is too short to scream and moan.

I think I was the one first flogged!  I was locked out of my own topic, and not given any reason why!

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on March 09, 2008, 07:50:47 AM
Personal email on the way.

I have nothing to hide, and prefer to address this public on this message board.  I think that is the fair and democratic way to handle this situation.  I am willing to publicly display my feelings and let me be judged by the court of public opinion.

In reference to your email, you asked me:

" what part of "It was never explained to me why I was locked out, other then I went off topic". don't you understand."

The answer, quite simply is the whole part.  Since when was a person locked out of a topic, because they went off topic?  Being locked out and only being locked out, is my only point of dissatisfaction, nothing more nothing less.  Yes, I realize that my being locked out and subsequent post, using the name of a German political party, lead to other wayyyyyyyyyy off topic threads, but if I was never locked out, this issue was have never happened.  Possibly this type of behaviour, me being locked out, is the reason some people feel like they don't "fit in" with the club, because of the "holier then thou" attitude of some other members.

Love to all,
Johnny

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Johnny,

I apologise for sending you a personal email, and seeing as you saw fit to print part of it, I will show the world what I actually sent you, as it was personal.   

think I was the one first flogged!  I was locked out of my own topic, and not given any reason why!

G'day Johnny,

I am sorry you were apparently locked out of your own initiated topic, but what part of "It was never explained to me why I was locked out, other then I went off topic". don't you understand.

It is hard enough for the Moderators to have to read every thread, message, and then make the hard decisions with the best interests of the Club, and maybe you required a better, more articulate reason for what was done, but what has been done, has been done.

The way I see it, you initiated the post, and it got shanghaied, and simply got out of hand, and not in the best interests of the CLC.

Yes, we know that the Savannah GN had its' problems, and lots of complaints, and that subject had previously been flogged to death.

Plus, the goings on, and complaining started up other threads that have since been deleted.

The more times the matter is brought up, the more it will be deleted.

I trust that you understand, and sorry that you received the DVD in the first place, and I am sure that it won't happen again.

Bruce.
The Tassie Devil(le)
CLC Moderator.
# 18992

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe