News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle

Started by kgas, March 09, 2008, 11:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgas

Hi, can anyone tell me if Cadillac & LaSalle engine heads are interchangeable? Will 346 heads fit 322 engine block with no problems? My other question is where do I find fan belts for my 322 engine, 39 LaSalle. Any help would be appreciated! kgas
Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

Try Cooper's in CA for fan belts and he probably can answer your other questions.  Ask for Bob Cooper when you call.

Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts
818-567-4140

Fan belts are readily available.
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kerry

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on March 09, 2008, 11:17:16 PM
Try Cooper's in CA for fan belts and he probably can answer your other questions.  Ask for Bob Cooper when you call.

Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts
818-567-4140

Fan belts are readily available.
Thanks Fred, really appreciated. Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

Kerry,

If you are restoring a 1939 LaSalle, check my web site at www.fzoldcars.com for hundreds of pictures of a restoration of my 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, along with a few pictures of my restored 1939 LaSalle 4-door taken about 30 years ago.  You will undoubtedly get some ideas.

Fred

harry s

The heads are interchangeable for the 322 & 346. If you look closely on some heads the compression ratio for each applicaton is stamped on one of the ribs.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

kgas

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on March 10, 2008, 10:37:46 PM
Kerry,

If you are restoring a 1939 LaSalle, check my web site at www.fzoldcars.com for hundreds of pictures of a restoration of my 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, along with a few pictures of my restored 1939 LaSalle 4-door taken about 30 years ago.  You will undoubtedly get some ideas.

Fred
[WOW] You took a fairly good looking car and made it a perfect 10! I love the end result. I've always wanted a coupe convertible. I've owned (3 ) 4-dr sedans and currently I'm trying to restore my Opera Coupe. I doubt it will be as nice as yours due to budget constraints but I hope to make it a good driver and enjoy driving it. I really appreciate you sharing your restoration pictures. Did you plug the holes in the trunk well before upholstering the trunk? Where did you get the patterns for the carpet and trunk area? Thanks again I really appreciate all you help. I just dropped the tank last nite but it will need to be repaired as there were several pin holes from 22 years of setting in the garage. The rest of it doesn't look too bad. Kerry a.k.a. kgas
Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: kgas on March 14, 2008, 10:02:39 PM

Fred
[WOW] You took a fairly good looking car and made it a perfect 10! I love the end result. I've always wanted a coupe convertible. I've owned (3 ) 4-dr sedans and currently I'm trying to restore my Opera Coupe. I doubt it will be as nice as yours due to budget constraints but I hope to make it a good driver and enjoy driving it. I really appreciate you sharing your restoration pictures. Did you plug the holes in the trunk well before upholstering the trunk? Where did you get the patterns for the carpet and trunk area? Thanks again I really appreciate all you help. I just dropped the tank last nite but it will need to be repaired as there were several pin holes from 22 years of setting in the garage. The rest of it doesn't look too bad. Kerry a.k.a. kgas

Kerry - Thanks for the compliments.  As to the drain holes in the trunk well - these were originally plugged with snap-in rubber plugs, which I replaced before installing the trunk material in that area.  I imagine the reason for these holes was to drain water out of that area if it ever got in, but I am not sure of this.  As to the patterns - I did them the hard way, as had very old patterns in the trunk and carpets, which had shrunken considerably.  Luckily I have the equipment and knowledge to do layout, cutting and sewing of both, so I did these myself.  (I had between 40-50 hours in the trunk alone and my knees are still sore at times from crawling in and out for so long).  I imagine a good trim shop installer could do it in about 2 days, but in my case, was starting from scratch and wanted it to fit perfectly and even of more importance, wanted all of the diamonds in the pattern to line up from back to front and from top to bottom.  This adds considerably to the time, but the end results are well worth it. 

My car had recently replaced carpet, but I didn't like the fit, especially at the sides and inside corners, so I replaced all of it.  In addition, located the original style brown rubber front mat and had 4 inserts made of carpet to attach to the mat.  I haven't installed this, but expect it to be very challenging to do the trimming of the edges and lining up of the brake and clutch openings, etc.  I will be removing the front seat to do this and am allowing one full day for this.  This will be done as soon as the weather breaks, along with bumper installation and a few odds and ends.

I purchased the cut pile wool carpet from Hampton Coach/Le Barron Bonney and the trunk material from Jenkins Interiors in NC.  Jenkins glued a lightweight backing to the trunk material so that it would lay nice an flat without any buckling (extra charge like everything else).   I have the phone and address for both if needed - send me an email - my email address is on my web site at www.fzoldcars.com   The rubber front mat came from Bob's Automobilia in California.

One other thing - I sent my gas tank to Gas Tank Renu (they have many branches) and it came out perfect.  I think you can friend them on the Internet through Google.
Attached are 2 pictures of my trunk for those who did not see it.
Fred

homeonprunehill

03-15-08
Fred Z. I just hate myself when I have to correct soneone, But, here goes. Please tell me that the "Spare-tire"holder in the bottom pitcure of the trunk is not going to stay in that position for ever. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: homeonprunehill on March 15, 2008, 11:43:20 PM
03-15-08
Fred Z. I just hate myself when I have to correct soneone, But, here goes. Please tell me that the "Spare-tire"holder in the bottom pitcure of the trunk is not going to stay in that position for ever. Good Luck,JIM

Picture was taken prior to installing the spare tire.  Here are two other pictures showing everything in place.

Fred.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on March 16, 2008, 07:35:31 PM
Quote from: homeonprunehill on March 15, 2008, 11:43:20 PM
03-15-08
Picture was taken prior to installing the spare tire.  Here are two other pictures showing everything in place.
Fred.
03-16-08
Fred,that more like it!  Question, does the trunk-lid operate ok,or do you have to "play"with it? I havt to "play"with the one on my '38.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

03-16-08
Fred,that more like it!  Question, does the trunk-lid operate ok, or do you have to "play"with it? I have to "play"with the one on my '38.

What is wrong with yours?  On rare occasions when lifting the trunk to the open position the side support catch arm fails to engage and I may have to try it a second time. I think that it may just need a squirt of WD-40 to keep the catch working easier.  I am going to add this to my odds and ends for this spring, if and when it ever comes to NE Ohio.  (*Note - I just tried it and it worked perfectly the first time while taKing the attached picture).

One other thing - on my LaSalle and probably most LaSalles and Cadillacs, there is a small rubber spacer (flat 1-1/2" long and 3/4" wide and about 1/8' thick) on each side of the trunk These are attached with 2 screws. The purpose of these spacers is to keep the trunk in alignment as it is closed and to stop rattles. I bought a new pair from Steele, but found the rubber was too thick, so had to sand down some of the rubber surface for a better fit.  The Steele Part Number is 50-0163-87 and the cost was $42.40 a pair (ouch).  Attached picture shows some of the grind marks that were the result of sanding down the thickness.  A little "door ease" on these decklid bumpers is a good idea for easier closing and so as not to wear out the paint from friction. Other than that, everything on my trunk works well and everything lines up.  Also my car has two support arms (one on each side).  I think that all convertibles and probably coupes have two, but my 1939 Sedan had only one as I remember. 

Fred

Bruce B.

Jim... If one or more of your support arm springs is weakened , or worse yet broken, you can replace them very inexpensively. They are available from Chevs of the 40's - (800) 999-2438, their part #4085735 ( Hold-up Release Spring) for about $6.00 each. Installation is kind of tricky... but if a chevy guy can do it .... ! As you would say ... Good Luck !

Kerry

Jim, I found that one of my trunk support springs was broken and this causes the trunk lid to sometimes work and sometimes you have to fiddle with it. What this means is that if one is broken, your putting more strain on the other one. It was nice to find out you can get one from the Chevy's of the forties guys.

Fred, I got my gas tank off and it was certainly a mess after setting for 20 + years. Thanks for the tip about Renu. I'll be sending my tank to them soon. I managed to get the sending unit off and discovered that the float rod and rusted off about half way down and the float itself is probably still in the tank. My question is where do I find another sending unit to replace the old one? Also is there a pick up tube inside the tank or not? I can't really tell for sure.