News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where to find vintage upholstery?

Started by Jim Thompson, March 15, 2008, 11:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Thompson

I have a hole in the front seat of my 1946 model 61 in an otherwise clompete original interior. Does anybody know of a source for vintage fabric or reproduction fabric? Thanks for the help.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The materials for a Series 61 would be almost impossible to find, unless SMS or the place in MI (both adv in Hemmings) might have some. What you might do, if the hole is not too big, is to remove the rear seat uprights, and see if there is enough to remove in back (about in the area of where your shoulder would hit) where it would not show for a neatly done patch for the front cushion. (I was able to take an unfaded portion about 4 x 6" from a '41 60S years ago from that area.) Or, the area that is tucked under the uprights from the rear seat cushion. A good upholsterer could remove enough and replace it with something "close" where it won't ever show. However,you first will have to find an upholster who will agree that this is doable. Many can see only doing the whole enchilada (at big bucks) in something that may or may not be as authentic as keeping your original.
I have a pair of slacks that a patch was sewn in so tightly that you can hardly tell there was a hole there, so don't everyone say, "Oh, it's gonna' show." My former seamstress from my clothing store worked on the slax not too long ago,and was amazed at how neat the patch was. No, it was not re-woven, either. What I am trying to suggest is a way out of a nearly impossible problem.
If this is workable, then I would finish by having my local shop put a set of clear plastic covers on the front seat so it won't tear again. Give me a holler if you need further help.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jim Thompson

Spoke with the upholstery guy next to me and he said he will try to make a slip cover just for the bottom cushion with a fabric that is a close proximity in color and texture. That will cover it till something more permanent can be done.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jim, If yours is the heavy ribbed stripe...It has a rib about 1/4" wide, I have a rear arm rest in blue/gray with at least a sqare foot of material. But, your material is probably green or tan.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jim Thompson

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on March 15, 2008, 04:31:18 PM
Jim, If yours is the heavy ribbed stripe...It has a rib about 1/4" wide, I have a rear arm rest in blue/gray with at least a sqare foot of material. But, your material is probably green or tan.

Mine is kind of a tan color, but it is the ribbed kind just as you described. Thanks for checking.

Greg McDonnell

Jim,

Have you tried Original Auto Interiors in Columbus, Michigan?

Here's their Web address:  http://www.originalauto.com/index.htm

Good luck!

Greg McDonnell
CLC# 20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Jim Thompson

Quote from: Greg McDonnell on March 16, 2008, 12:04:04 PM
Jim,

Have you tried Original Auto Interiors in Columbus, Michigan?

Here's their Web address:  http://www.originalauto.com/index.htm

Good luck!

Greg McDonnell
CLC# 20841

Fabulous site but they don't go older than 1955 for Cadillac.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Barry Wheeler on March 15, 2008, 01:10:14 PM
The materials for a Series 61 would be almost impossible to find, unless SMS or the place in MI (both adv in Hemmings) might have some. What you might do, if the hole is not too big, is to remove the rear seat uprights, and see if there is enough to remove in back (about in the area of where your shoulder would hit) where it would not show for a neatly done patch for the front cushion. (I was able to take an unfaded portion about 4 x 6" from a '41 60S years ago from that area.) Or, the area that is tucked under the uprights from the rear seat cushion. A good upholsterer could remove enough and replace it with something "close" where it won't ever show. However,you first will have to find an upholster who will agree that this is doable. Many can see only doing the whole enchilada (at big bucks) in something that may or may not be as authentic as keeping your original.
I have a pair of slacks that a patch was sewn in so tightly that you can hardly tell there was a hole there, so don't everyone say, "Oh, it's gonna' show." My former seamstress from my clothing store worked on the slax not too long ago,and was amazed at how neat the patch was. No, it was not re-woven, either. What I am trying to suggest is a way out of a nearly impossible problem.
If this is workable, then I would finish by having my local shop put a set of clear plastic covers on the front seat so it won't tear again. Give me a holler if you need further help.
Barry,
A few years ago in the Self-Starter there was an article about a couple who did a very nice restoration of a 49-6119 which had just been completed and they said they were able to get the correct upholstery for it.  Would this be the same material as in Jim's '46? If I remember correctly (and without going through my stacks of S-S's), it was a striped cloth similar to that used in Buick Roadmasters and Oldsmobile 98's of that vintage. Of course, even if it is the same, it's possible that it is no longer available...just wondering. Note to Jim: After your seat is repaired, I wouldn't worry about putting the clear plastic seat cover on it.  Since there's just one small hole after 62 years, I think the chance of getting another one is practically nil when used as a hobby driver and probably never being smoked in and it will look very much better without it.

Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

baxterculver

Quote from: South_paw on March 16, 2008, 06:53:10 PM
SMS is an upholstery supplier on the west coast. Have a look,
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/index.html

Lou
Also check out Hampton Coach www.hamptoncoach.com  purveyors of upholstry materials for GM products
baxter culver clc#17184

Jim Thompson

Quote from: baxterculver on March 17, 2008, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: South_paw on March 16, 2008, 06:53:10 PM
SMS is an upholstery supplier on the west coast. Have a look,
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/index.html

Lou
Also check out Hampton Coach www.hamptoncoach.com  purveyors of upholstry materials for GM products

Thanks, e-mailed them too.

Jim Thompson

Unfortunately, I struck out on both those companies.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Another possibility is Hirsch http://www.hirschauto.com/ - I used Hampton Coach for my fabrics, and Hirsch for my carpet, but I know Hirsch carries fabrics as well.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As far as I know, no one has re-done this particular material, simply because it was used in the lowest priced Cadillacs (and LaSalles.)  It was generally quite durable, and lasted for years. Usually, someone "doing" one of these cars gives up and puts either Bedford Cord or smooth broadcloth in their car.
You might e-mail Clark Rockefeller in NH and see if he had any luck. Last year, he was trying to find a source for the green in this material, with a view towards having it re-woven, I believe. He is in the Directory.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Podany #19567

Jim,

Barry Wheeler likely is correct; I suggest however you check with Lewis Jenkins in North Carolina at 336-667-4242.  Also a long shot, but worth a try, Charlie Babcock in Sarasota, FL at 941-349-4990.

Good Luck.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Larry Good, CLC #1513 (?)

Jim, let me know if you ever find the material.  I travel the world with swatches from my 47-6109, but no luck yet.  Mine is gray-blue.  For the 2002 GN I had my seats done in something else, and nobody minded.  Just waiting for the day that brings the right material.  -Larry
PS:  Do you happen to have a rear speaker?

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Have you tried Bill Hirsch?

Good Luck
Jack  8)