News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Admiral Nimitzs' Cadillac

Started by Big Fins, March 15, 2008, 12:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fins

While touring a few of the local collections on Friday, we ran across a Series 75 Limosine.
On the firewall in stenciled white letters were a series of letters and numbers. They were painted as follows;

M 4110163

R 10

J 368509

The owner believes this car was once assigned to Admiral Chester Nimitz as his personal staff car. I did some searching but, I'm coming up empty.

Would any of the Members here have any idea where I would look to substantiate this claim of ownership/assignment?

I failed to get the exact year of the car, but the people I was with know. I will find out and add this information as soon as it's available.

Thanks, for any leads I can get in advance.

Fins

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Big Fins on March 15, 2008, 12:48:05 PM
While touring a few of the local collections on Friday, we ran across a Series 75 Limosine.
On the firewall in stenciled white letters were a series of letters and numbers. They were painted as follows;

M 4110163

R 10

J 368509

The owner believes this car was once assigned to Admiral Chester Nimitz as his personal staff car. I did some searching but, I'm coming up empty.

Would any of the Members here have any idea where I would look to substantiate this claim of ownership/assignment?

I failed to get the exact year of the car, but the people I was with know. I will find out and add this information as soon as it's available.

Thanks, for any leads I can get in advance.

Fins

03-15-08
FINS, Contact the DEPT.of the NAVY. You should be able to WEB.( Send numbers) 
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Big Fins

Thanks Jim, I give it a try and post what I find if anything.

Fins

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Big Fins on March 15, 2008, 02:06:06 PM
Thanks Jim, I give it a try and post what I find if anything.Fins
03-15-08
Fin, If you could find NIMITZ'S personel driver he could verify the car he drove for Nimitz. Use the search engine on your computer,Type-in "Bio Admiral Chaster Nimitz"S personal driver. He will be listed near the end ,AKA "Knobby"Walsh.
Good Luck,JIM

Jeff Hansen

John,

The M # I'm guessing is the motor number and is proper for a 1936 model 80 or 85.  This would seem to fall in place with the J# of 368509, a 1936 model 8509 which is a 5 passenger sedan with a Fleetwood body. 

Did this car have a V8 or a V12 engine?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Big Fins

Ah Jeff, after further digging and a little help from a friend, I'm finding what you say to be be real close to the truth.

It is in fact a 1937 Fleetwood. A clean V-12 under the hood.

Here is a link to the location of the car. It does need some work on the inside, but looking at it, I would say it is not as bad as noted by the owner. To me it's overpriced, but then I know little about pre-war automobiles.

Maybe someone who reads this likes the car. Email me if you want to see it in person. The location is rather remote and secure.

Fins

Big Fins

Jim, After more searching, I found out "Knobby Walsh" was a fighter back in the 30's and Shemp Howard of the Three Stooges fame was his on screen manager.

Another one was a retired master Cheif or Boatswains Mate on the USS Saratoga.

And a host of others. But none that were private drivers for Admiral Nimitz.

Rest assured, I'll keep hunting. The history I'm learning is wonderful.

Fins

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: South_paw on March 17, 2008, 06:49:39 PM
Here's a pic of the Admiral getting into what looks to be a Series 75. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can pinpoint the year/model. I don't know enough about Cadillacs from this era to confirm.

Lou   

My guess is a Packard, maybe 1941?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Big Fins

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Big Fins on March 18, 2008, 03:21:24 AM
I'm losing it! I thought I had posted the link. Let's try again.

http://www.victorycars.com/inventory_details.asp?InventoryNum=794

Fins
03-19-08
FINS,I've been looking at the pitcures of the cars. The one that FDR (reply #7) is in(I doubt very much that the Sercet-Service would allowFDR to ride in ADM. NIMITZ"S car)is a difference car then the one that ADM NIMITZ is shown geting into (can individual already in car be ID) in reply # 6. See reply # 10 next to bottom row, last column to right is a picture showing the same numbers & letters as was posted in the origional post. If the car that FINS saw was a difference car then the one shown in reply # 10, could it be that the NAVY was not usuing the SN of the car but maybe an order or contract number? It seems as tho VICTORY CARS still has his.
I have a GRANDSON in the NAVY right-now, stationed in JAPAN, I sent him an email and ask him to find out all he could about ADM. NIMITZ and his driver. I'll post his reply.
Good Luck,JIM

Big Fins

I'm still searching this one. More out of curiosity, that anything else.

I emailed the Dept. of the Navy, but to date, no response. It appears the cars in all the pictures are different. Looking at trim, interior, design, even the assist handles for entry and exit.

When I hear something, I'll put it out here to see.

Fins

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Speaking of Chester Nimitz, I would highly recommend the Admiral Nimitz Museum/Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas, if you're ever in the San Antonio/Austin area. Fredericksburg is about 60 miles from both and the town itself is beautiful, historic and a top tourist destination. Admiral Nimitz was born in Fredericksburg and raised on a ranch in nearby Kerrville and the people of Fredericksburg are very proud of their native son who, by all accounts, was a fine human being and a genuinely nice guy as well as an exemplary naval flag officer whose leadership contributed greatly to the Allied victory in WWII.

Doug Ray

I have a 1936 60 series coupe...with the same style stencile on the firewall and in white color....the paint on  the car we found to be olive drab ......NOT cannon smoke as the firewall plate says it should be...i couldnt find out any info...ft bragg in nc (wher ei am from) destroyed all motorpool records after the war...

i even went on to find bullets  in the car that had fell and lodged behind the dash...in a caliber consistent with that era...i have them stored away...but i am sure they are marked with goverment casing marks...

her eis alink to when i first found my cars markings....i hit a dead end when trying to locate info bout the military...but i feel like mine is a military car......witht he olive drab paint...that was under the black paint...btw i am the 3rd owner of the car....this has been documented....

some will tell you the markings were put there by a dealer....i dunno know....could be true...or couldnt apply to all cars.....

base commanders had cars like these...and higher ranking officers....they werent always factory ordered..at the outset of the war the goverment and america was largly under prepared for war.....this is very true when it come to staff cars and base cars ect ect...so the militray DID purchase cars form ca rlots...used and new..and of course from the factorys under contracts......

i have pics i can post of mine cars numbers...if interested...i have mothballed the project pending completion of my new house....which is soon....

PLEASE PLEASE post ANY INFO you find out i certainly  will keep up with the thread....

DougRay

here is th elink to my post a few years ago......YES GUYS i search the site for topics and re read.. ;D

board will not let me post a links...do a seach for this....

1936 series 60 coupes?????
« on: January 16, 2006, 07:12:18 am »

Roger H

Hello,
This is great info,  Ironically I recently purchased this car from Victory cars,  It now resides in Washington state.
No bullets have been found so far,  The keyring has a New york tag on it and it looks  old, also the clock was once repaired by a shop in new york city.
I'll Update if I find anything new

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Big Fins on March 15, 2008, 12:48:05 PM

You might try contacting the Nimitz Museum AKA Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas, hometown of Chester Nimitz.  Their website is www.nimitz-museum.org.  "Contact us" is in a drop-down menu under "General Information".

Big Fins

Hi Rusty,

I did that too, and they have no documentation on Admiral Nimitz, being assigned a Cadillac by the base or the Dept of the Navy.

And Roger, Congratulations on the purchase of the car. I was fascinated by it.

Fins

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I just finished decoding the stencil. M= motor #, 411 XXX for 36 V12, B =body # 10, J =job #. Someone else already gave that info. Why the stencil? I think I remember my 37 V12 conv. sedan as having them. In 36 & 37 Cadillac was producing both V8 & V12  cars using the same chassis.  My theory is that the body was stencilled to show what chassis it was going on. I really don't think stencils have anything to do with military usage.  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

homeonprunehill

09-04-08
BIG FINS RUSTY AND other interesting people.Why not put the FED'S to work... Inquire about him throught"the freedon of information act" Good luck,JIM