News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 vacume windshield washers

Started by omalley, March 15, 2008, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omalley

Does anybody have any trouble shooting information on how to get the vacuum operated windshield washers to work on an 1957 Eldorado Brougham?  (Trico system vacuum system with four hoses)

I can get a little squirt of water if I take off one off the smaller hoses at the pump, then put my finger over it and release.  Wipers work ok at switch.  Push button for washer does nothing.  There seems to be a vacuum at one of the vacuum hoses at the washer bottle pump.

Thanks

J. Gomez

Omalley,

This is a good site for some basic information on the Trico washer, http://www.wiperman.com/washservpage.html.

If you do not get a good flow of water out of the "water line port" this indicates a problem with the pump itself, you may need to take the unit apart and performed a visual check.

There is a large rubber seal inside the cup that could be weak to push the fluid, or could be other things. If you take the pump unit apart for a visual inspection be VERY CAREFUL as there is a large spring inside the unit, make sure you have a good grip before removing the “wire clip” retainer that holds the top and bottom.

Good luck..!

Jose Gomez CLC# 23082
J. Gomez
CLC #23082