News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoration of the faux wood surfaces on my 46???

Started by Jim Thompson, March 18, 2008, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Thompson

I am looking for recommendations on how to restore the faux wood painted panels on the doors and dash of my 46. The sun has faded the dash paint and people resting their arms on the door sills have worn off the paint there too. Is there a source for new door wood pieces or is it restore only? Thanks again for the feedback.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

jagbuxx #12944

I had my pieces refinished by a person in Long Beach, CA, Hall was his last name.
He charged me about $1100 or so for the dash, door cappings and window surrounds-this for my '47-62 Sedanette
Removing the dash was a bit unnerving as the body manual gave no instructions but  this forum provided a lot of
assitance-
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

paulp

JIM:  I am looking at the same problem on my 41 Dash as it came with some glued on paper or plastic laminate.  However I had some parts of the interior of my airplane done with some kind of a fluid or dipping process where a very thin film was applied.  It looks absolutely beautiful, at least as good as any of the high dollar new cars.  However the shop that had it done is now out of business, so I don't know where it was done, or what the actual process is called.  Maybe someone who reads this might know. 
   -  Paul  -   
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300

Anthony Amman #15293

The process is called film dip and there are several places that do this type of work.  We used to use this process in house at a company I previously worked for and it is the best you can get as far as looks.  Google it and in the meanwhile I will look in my favorites as I bookmarked a couple of sources for a friends some time ago.  If you happened to watch the episode on American Chopper where OCC was building a bike for Gander Mountain, they featured how this process was done by dipping the tank and tins in a camo. pattern.

Anthony

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have a friend who has taken over a dash re-finishing business. He did my 1941 60S dash, and it looks beautiful. Several of our members have since used him, and been pleased with the work.
I knew of a film dipping place in MI that one of our CLC members had his dash done at, and for a while, he only charged about $250 until he found out that all car restorers are filthy rich. I hear the price is in the four figure range now.
The original process was a 3M process called Di-Noc. It was a decal applied over a base coat. Incidently, my restorer was so "with it" that he reproduced the edge of the decal on the lower lip of the dash (where no one can see it) and now you can see where the "decal" stopped and the base coat was.
Click on my name, and E-mail me if you want to know his phone #.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Larry Good, CLC #1315 (?)

Jim-  I am no expert on '46 Caddies, but I know my '47-6109.  The restoration shop sent all my panels out for woodgraining.  I paid no attention.  When they came back everybody said it's so gorgeous!  I said yes, but it's all wrong!  I got an over-restoration of unknown woodgrain with burl in random places.  I should have had a very plain walnut pattern with a lot less gloss.  Someday it will all have to come out to be done over again.  I've had the car most of my life, and now it bothers me every time I get in it.  (That's not the only thing.)  Check the CLC Authenticity Manual, original cars, or other sources for the right pattern.  You probably have good original spots in secluded places on your own car to find the right pattern.  Models 62 and 75 have different woodgrain than Model 61.  '46 and '47 MAY be the same.  -Larry

Jim Thompson

2 of my panels are still in pretty good original condition so the grain is easy to see. The upper dash is complete worn off but the lower dash is complete. I will have to look for a resto-shop that would take these on.

Chuck-#21953

Jim

I did my own, leaving the dash in the car, but removing all the garnish moldings.  It came out really nice.  Cost less than $50.00.  Email me and I'll give you a rundown on the process.

Dan Reed

Another guy to look into is Bob Waller owner of Classic Auto Services in New Boston, NH

ClassicAutoServices.com

I met Bob and his team at this year's Atlantic City Classic Auto Show & Auction. One of his specialties is woodgrain dash restorations.

Dan

68 Deville

Jim, Take a look at this, if you know of a place that will do the job for you this place has the veneer panels. http://www.woodnshop.com/Hardwood/WALNUT.htm   Good Luck, Joe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Joe, the car uses an artificial grain painted on metal, not actual wood, but thanks for providing a good place for cars that do use actual wood. It's hard to find places with veneer.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Diego Montefusco

Quote from: Anthony Amman #15293 on March 18, 2008, 08:15:13 PM
The process is called film dip and there are several places that do this type of work. [...] If you happened to watch the episode on American Chopper where OCC was building a bike for Gander Mountain, they featured how this process was done by dipping the tank and tins in a camo. pattern.

That's AMAZING: http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=245988601&categoryId=255529042&lineupId=1373280940&titleId=1370859138

diego

Jim Thompson

Quote from: Chuck-#21953 on March 27, 2008, 09:05:59 AM
Jim

I did my own, leaving the dash in the car, but removing all the garnish moldings.  It came out really nice.  Cost less than $50.00.  Email me and I'll give you a rundown on the process.

Thanks, e-mail sent.

Glen

Quote from: Diego Montefusco on March 28, 2008, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: Anthony Amman #15293 on March 18, 2008, 08:15:13 PM
The process is called film dip and there are several places that do this type of work. [...] If you happened to watch the episode on American Chopper where OCC was building a bike for Gander Mountain, they featured how this process was done by dipping the tank and tins in a camo. pattern.

That's AMAZING: http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=245988601&categoryId=255529042&lineupId=1373280940&titleId=1370859138

diego

That looks like an updated version of marbleizing. http://www.marthastewart.com/marbleizing-paper-with-enrico  In that process you basically float oil paint on water, then dip the paper in to put the pattern on the paper.   Wife was into that for a while. Still have the paint splatter on the wall. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Anthony Amman #15293

Here is a shot of my dash after dipping and clearcoating.

Anthony

Anthony Amman #15293

A before shot of dash and other pieces being prepped for basecoat.

Anthony

Anthony Amman #15293

Picture of pieces in base coat prior to being dipped in Walnut grain.

Anthony

Anthony Amman #15293

A photo of the glove compartment door.

Anthony

Anthony Amman

Dash after thorough stripping and metal conditioning prior to priming and base coat applications.  All other interior pieces underwent the same preparation processes.

Anthony

Bill

Quote from: Dan Reed on March 27, 2008, 09:40:44 AM
Another guy to look into is Bob Waller owner of Classic Auto Services in New Boston, NH

ClassicAutoServices.com

I met Bob and his team at this year's Atlantic City Classic Auto Show & Auction. One of his specialties is woodgrain dash restorations.

Dan
Please check out who you do business with before sending any parts. I am currently trying to get my dash and moldings back from Bob Waller. This guy is hard to get a hold of he doesn't reply to my emails or phone calls. I sent my parts last October and paid him in November and I haven't heard anything from him since February. I heard he has done this to others. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and also sent an email to Hemmings because they did an article on him in November 2004. So I am currently trying to get the word out before someone else gets in my predicament.