News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle gas tank

Started by Kerry Pilling, March 22, 2008, 12:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Pilling

Now that I have dropped the gas tank on my 39 LaSalle I have a couple of questions.
(1) Is there a pickup tube inside the tank?
(2) Where can I find a new sending unit for this tank?

I'm also wondering where to find top and bottom radiator hoses? Any help will be most appreciated.

harvey b

Hello Kerry, i would try coopers vintage parts in Burbank California,do a google search and their web site and phone number will come up,they sell a universal type of gas guage that will work on your style of tank,if you remove the old unit you should be able to see the pickup tube,it goes in the side where the line came off.you can use muriatic acid to clean the tank,it is what all the "kits" you buy have in them,only a lot cheaper to do it this way.when you call coopers ask for bob,he is a great guy and will be able to help you out. HTH  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Kerry Pilling

Thanks for the info Harvey, much appreciated. Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

You don't need to do a Google Search - Do a "Fred" search:

Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts,
Attn: Bob Cooper
3087 N. California St.
Burbank, CA 91504
815-567-4140
www.coopersvintage.com

Bob Cooper is always very helpful and generally has whatever you need in stock.  I bought his repro gas tank gauge, but did not use it, as my original was still OK.  But I am keeping it on shelf for future use if needed some day.  It does not resemble the original, but as I understand it the resistance is important and it is supposed to be OK for the 1939 LaSalle on a 6-volt system.  Cost was minimal.

Fred.
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com