News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"splash pan" ? inside oil pan on 346 CID engine- '39 Cad 60S

Started by Rick Rinehart, March 22, 2008, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rinehart

What is the purpose of the steel pan inside the oil pan?  It is about 7" x 12" (roughly).  I believe there are some supports mounted on the main bearing caps.  My rebuilder did not put these on.  Is this pan something that can be ignored?  I thought putting the rest of my engine together was going to be a one day job but I keep coming up with new stuff that I don't know about.  If I do another 39 Cad 60S I will do it in half the time. 

John Morris #23947

This is a "baffle" and it's purpose is to assure there is a plentiful reservoir of oil for the oil pump pickup. Jack rabbit starts, hard braking and turning can cause the oil to slosh back and forth, causing the oil pickup to momentarily suck air, and the crankshaft spinning in the oil, especially when a quart low, can also cause loss of oil pickup. The baffle assists with both these problems, by preventing "oil sloshing" and allowing an area in the oil pool not affected by spinning crank. I would be contacting your mechanic about a warrantee issue.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

baxterculver

Quote from: Rick Rinehart on March 22, 2008, 09:08:52 PM
What is the purpose of the steel pan inside the oil pan?  It is about 7" x 12" (roughly).  I believe there are some supports mounted on the main bearing caps.  My rebuilder did not put these on.  Is this pan something that can be ignored?  I thought putting the rest of my engine together was going to be a one day job but I keep coming up with new stuff that I don't know about.  If I do another 39 Cad 60S I will do it in half the time. 
Unless your car won't be driven, you need the splash shields (pans)
These items are easily installed, even after the engine in in the car.  Simply drop the pan, attach the shield and replace the pan.  If you are careful, and your "mechanic" didn't seal the pan gasket to the block and pan too well, you might even get to reuse the gasket.  Then again, it seems that your mechanic needs should do this procedure.  Under supervision!  Don't you think?
baxter culver clc#17184

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the Mechanic thinks he knows more about engines than the manufacturers?

May be a good time to find a better mechanic?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

::)  If Cadillac put it in the engine, there was a good reason - end of story.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Fred,

I "love it" when "edumacated" mechanics remove parts that the Manufacturers spent Millions of Dollars designing and using.

A bit like the "waste-of-time" Thermostat that people remove "because the engine was running hot".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rick Rinehart

Thanks for the info guys.  I'd be lost without this forum.