News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

So sad...I saw a 1953 Eldorado yesterday

Started by Charles, March 23, 2008, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

This was the first 53 eldo I've seen in person. No, it's not for sale, I'm not going to give you the guys name or number. He's had it for 29 years, it was given to him from an old friend when he passed away. He has no Intrest in any $$$ amount. (and sadly, I did not get the serial number).

Charles
Charles Phelps CLC #23665
1951 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe
www.hotrodcaddy.com <--my Blog
[img]http://www.shoretelforums.com/pictures/Caddy4.jpg[/img]

LBF

It looks like the car is in the hands of someone who is driving it, and looks to be taking reasonable care of it.  What's so sad about that?
Matthew Taylor

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I think that it is more sad that soon we won't see cars like this, they'll all be super restored. There really is something nice about cars that have just been kept on the road like this , flat paint, worn upholstery etc. !!!
Phil

Rikard Stenberg

Lovely car!
That's a dream machine for me :-) And if I ever could afford one I guess this would be the condition it would be in, but I would not mind that - this is my absolute dream car :-)

I have only seen one 53 Eldorado in real life myself (last summer) and that was the first imported into Sweden some 30 years ago (today there are quite a lot of them over here) and that car is in really good condition.

Fantastic pictures - thanks for posting them!
/Rikard

Johnny F #662

I think what is so sad, is that this car, which is so important to Cadillac's history, appears to be just wasting away.  I am not suggesting a total frame off restoration, but I think it should be given just a little more TLC to better be displayed.

Charles

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 23, 2008, 07:38:17 PM
I think what is so sad, is that this car, which is so important to Cadillac's history, appears to be just wasting away.  I am not suggesting a total frame off restoration, but I think it should be given just a little more TLC to better be displayed.

I think that's my point. My cadillac is no where near 'frame-off restoration' shape. She's a 10 footer, and I drive her about 100+ miles every weekend. She's a driver, but even I know that sometimes you need to wash her, or fix something here or there....not just let it waste away.
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Charles on March 23, 2008, 10:28:34 PM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 23, 2008, 07:38:17 PM

I think that's my point. My Cadillac is no where near 'frame-off restoration' shape. She's a 10 footer, and I drive her about 100+ miles every weekend. She's a driver, but even I know that sometimes you need to wash her, or fix something here or there....not just let it waste away.

To continue..........I am far from being an expert on '53 Eldo, but it appears to me that most of the exterior trim is in good condition and all there, but not too sure of the low rear fender piece of chrome/stainless steel.  I wonder if the owner even has a conception of what a classic he owns.  Does he think he just has a nice old Cadillac convertible?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That is what those cars looked like 30+ years ago when they were worth $1000. The bad part now about that car is it looks like he's living in it. And I'm being kind. The trim is 60-S. I had an Eldo years ago that had a complete set installed probably by the dealer. The buyer removed every piece. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Johnny F #662

I have posted this before, under the topic of something along the lines of asking how do "ultra" Cadillacs get to be junk?  Here we have an example of a classic that will most likely end up in the crusher.  I think I would be safe to say, to most people, unlike we Cadillac Enthusiasts, the car represents nothing more then an old car, and how they used to like.  At best some may appreciate how seeing how cars used to look, compared to today's cars.  I would imagine, very few realize the importance of this particular car in the history of American cars in general and specifically Cadillacs.  Hopefully the gentleman, that currently owns the car, will make the decision to make some sort of plans, to see that the car gets passed on, to an owner, that will treat this car with proper respect.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I appreciate the way the owner is actually driving his car, and enjoying the fact that he can drive it.

Granted, it might be one of the rarer cars around, but at least it is being used for what it was built for, and not stuck in someone's garage or museum sitting still and fenced off so nobody can actually "feel" it.

I am sure that the owner is happy to let people touch it, unlike a lot of total purists.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I like driving my cars over all sorts of roads, and in any weather.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry

I agree ! I love to see trailer queens, but a smile a mile wide would have come over me to see this guy, who obviously loves his car, drive up to a car show ! My Bicentennial is so perfect, I don't feel at ease to use it. My 61 Continental convertible-though only 46,000 , 1 previous owner miles, has enough blemishes which allow me to absolutely have fun with it ! There is a case for both sides ! Barry
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on March 24, 2008, 06:50:57 PM
I appreciate the way the owner is actually driving his car, and enjoying the fact that he can drive it.

Granted, it might be one of the rarer cars around, but at least it is being used for what it was built for, and not stuck in someone's garage or museum sitting still and fenced off so nobody can actually "feel" it.

I am sure that the owner is happy to let people touch it, unlike a lot of total purists.

PS.   I like driving my cars over all sorts of roads, and in any weather.

I would tend to agree with you, as I am also from the school of thinking that cars are to be driven, but I think a special set of rules applies to '53 Eldos, and the Broughams of the late 50's.  These were cars that were put out by GM to solidify Cadillac's position as the luxury car of the USA, if not the world.  Am I the only one that sees this car as more then just another classic Cadillac, and as a proper relic of America's history of once producing the most luxurious car available?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 24, 2008, 08:37:20 PM
I would tend to agree with you, as I am also from the school of thinking that cars are to be driven, but I think a special set of rules applies to '53 Eldos, and the Broughams of the late 50's.  These were cars that were put out by GM to solidify Cadillac's position as the luxury car of the USA, if not the world.  Am I the only one that sees this car as more then just another classic Cadillac, and as a proper relic of America's history of once producing the most luxurious car available? 
One of the "problems" that I have is when one owns one of these cars, and possibly cannot afford to spend the money required to "restore" it, should they use it themselves as they want to, or be forced to sell it to someone who has the funds?

I have had "rare" cars, here anyway, and haven't had the funds to do them up.   Nobody is going to tell me that I should spend money that I haven't got.   And I am surely not going to sell it, until I have finished "enjoying" it.

PS.   For a while I had the only '55 Chev Convertible in Australia, amongst others.   Oh, that's right, it wasn't a Cadillac. ;)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Charles

You know...the more I think about it (and I've been thinking about it alot)....I guess it is less sad, and more jealousy. I soooooo want this car, and seeing it in this condition makes it worse, as it's possibly in a price range that I could actually afford, rather than a 'super-restored' version.

Yep...jealousy is probably what it is.

And yes, the owner is aware of what he has. I'll try to get the Car# the next time I see him. (but I believe it is car #342)

Charles
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on March 24, 2008, 10:27:12 PM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 24, 2008, 08:37:20 PM
One of the "problems" that I have is when one owns one of these cars, and possibly cannot afford to spend the money required to "restore" it, should they use it themselves as they want to, or be forced to sell it to someone who has the funds?

I have had "rare" cars, here anyway, and haven't had the funds to do them up.   Nobody is going to tell me that I should spend money that I haven't got.   And I am surely not going to sell it, until I have finished "enjoying" it.

PS.   For a while I had the only '55 Chev Convertible in Australia, amongst others.   Oh, that's right, it wasn't a Cadillac. ;)

Tassie, you bring up probably the most important determining factor in our hobby..........."funds available".  There is no denying that restoring this car would be a very costly undertaking and most likely out of reach for most people.  And yes, I agree that the owner of any car is entitled to do whatever they choose with their car.  The purpose of my posts is no more then expressing a hope that somewhere along the line, this car will end up in the ownership of someone that would restore it to a more presentable condition.  I am not necessarily speaking of a frame off restoration.  Actually from the pictures, it appears as basically all it needs to look good, is a paint job and new interior and radio.  Sure this can be somewhat costly, but most likely cheaper then if the owner had a cracked windshield and had to find a replacement.

Stewart Homan

Personally, I think it's great to see a 53 Eldo being used like this.

The car is obviously at an old car show so I'd doubt this car would end up in the crusher - the old guys that do this sort of thing tend to be loners that don't want people to know what they've got in my opinion.

I don't know that jealousy is even the right word, maybe a bit envious as clearly in terms of getting this car, the guy was in the right place at the right time (not trying to denigrate the memory of his friend)

I say more power to him - I've seen the 60-S dress up added to a few 53's and while I wouldn't do it, it is certainly 'of the time'!

It kind of reminds me of my blue car, which in turn reminds me of the blue car from Norway that shows up at Vasteras sometimes in about the same condition - I think they look fantastic like this!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 26, 2008, 09:19:30 AM

The car is obviously at an old car show so I'd doubt this car would end up in the crusher - the old guys that do this sort of thing tend to be loners that don't want people to know what they've got in my opinion.

If that is the case, then why did he choose to bring it to a car show?  I do not mean in any way to criticize the owner, nor take away his freedom to do with the car as he sees fit.  Although I think he posses an important of Cadillac history, he is under no obligation to anything other then what he chooses to do with the car.

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 26, 2008, 10:02:42 AM
Quote from: Stewart Homan on March 26, 2008, 09:19:30 AM

If that is the case, then why did he choose to bring it to a car show?  I do not mean in any way to criticize the owner, nor take away his freedom to do with the car as he sees fit.  Although I think he posses an important of Cadillac history, he is under no obligation to anything other then what he chooses to do with the car.

That is my point in reply to someone suggesting it MAY end up in the crusher!

I can't see any reason why it should!

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Have you still got your 53 Eldo Stewart ?

Dave Ventresca

Looks like it has 54 wiper arms. whoever restores it will need a set of the correct 53 Eldorado arms. Dave