News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Clips holding axles on? - 75 Fleetwood

Started by Doug 22747, March 23, 2008, 01:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 22747

I was talking to a "mechanic" about removing and replacing axle bearings on my car, he says there are clips in the differential holding the axles in place.  I don't find mention of that in the shop manual.  It says "attach a slide hammer puller and remove."  Any info anyone?  thanks Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

LBF

Matthew Taylor

TJ Hopland

Later Gm axles (maybe starting in 77?) used the 'clips'.   To remove the axles on that style you remove the diff cover and then the pin that holds the spider gears in the carrier, this allows you to push the axles in slightly to remove the clips that are held into a recess in the gears.  You can then slide the axles out.  Seals can be pried out with a screwdriver but bearings usually require a slide hammer.

My guess is yours is the earlier style where the seals and bearings are pressed onto the shafts with a assortment of special tools.  They are held in by a retainer plate or the brake backing plate (usually 4 bolts).  After you remove the retainer you can then slide the axles out.  I have never had to use a slide hammer but it is possible everything I worked on has been shot.   There were some that had the seal in the housing and a 'sealed' bearing (may be Ford's).  After removing the axle a trip to a machine shop is usually needed to get the seals and or the bearings replaced.   Last time I did it the whole job was only $40 labor but it was a few years ago.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Doug 22747

it is a 75, (sorry, out playing with the car!).  It does have a retainer plate of sorts on the brake plate (4 bolts and a seal in the center, with tiny shards of bearing and some gear oil present).  I removed the bolts and the brake plate fell out of place and I sat there staring at the axle hub.  Yanked on it by hand like a monkey with fleas, but nothing.

This mechanic mentioned "late 70s GM cars" which is what you suggested.  I hate tearing into the rear end if I don't have to. . .guess I could try and locate a puller and see how it goes, being careful not to force anything. . .
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

TJ Hopland

Its been too long since I had one of those apart and I have been working on 60's Fords and 90's Chevs lately so I may have some details mixed up. 

Taking the cover off the diff is not too bad of job unless you dont have a good safe way to get under the car.  Getting a good look in there and an oil change is not a bad idea unless you know it has been done recently.  That would also let you know for sure that there are no clips.   Its easy to see with the cover off unless its a limited slip then you sort of have to know what you are looking at.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Those "C" Clips started with the 12 Bolt Diffs in 1965.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Doug 22747

Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Doug 22747

Quote from: TJ H on March 23, 2008, 07:33:05 PM
Its been too long since I had one of those apart and I have been working on 60's Fords and 90's Chevs lately so I may have some details mixed up. 

Taking the cover off the diff is not too bad of job unless you dont have a good safe way to get under the car.  Getting a good look in there and an oil change is not a bad idea unless you know it has been done recently.  That would also let you know for sure that there are no clips.   Its easy to see with the cover off unless its a limited slip then you sort of have to know what you are looking at.

looks like that plate's coming off!
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

John Morris #23947

Yep, like Bruce said, the big C clips hold the axles in. Very easy job, you do not have to mess with the "setup" of the 3rd member, just pull the cover, remove the bolt holding the huge pin in the spider gears, pull the pin, and the axles can slip inboard towards the 3rd member a fraction of an inch, and the C clips pop right out by finger.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

TJ Hopland

The 73 manual does not mention the clip style. There is also a note about the bearing coming apart during removal and said its 'normal', I assume this means it has to be replaced.  Sounds like his 75 manual said the same thing. The 77 manual does not mention the non clip style even in the case of the limited slip which from the pictures looks to be the non clip style.  It looks like the 'official' change had to be 76 or 77.  77 would make the most sense since that was a 'downsize' year.  I always thought Cadillac did a better job of not mixing parts as bad as the other lines.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Joe G 12138

I'm not sure of the year the change was made, but let's think about the two different style rear axles and apply common sense. The newer style, with the "C' clip, has a removable stamped cover on the rear of the pumpkin, so one CAN remove the cover to access and remove those "C" clips. On the older style where you use the slide hammer, there is no rear cover at all. One has to remove the entire gearset from the front of car (input end) of the unit. this cannot be done with the axle shafts in place, so there's no way it could have been assembled using them. My advice is if the unit appears like the one in the shop manual, believe whatever procedure the give you!

Joe G 12138

I think they they made the change to the C clip style in 1970 for most Cadillacs.....but I'm not sure about the Fleetwood and Commercial Chassis.