News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Im curious to what people think a 100 point 61 CDV is worth?

Started by collector, March 26, 2008, 12:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

Im curious as to what some of the members of the club think a 61 CDV is worth as a #1 show car. Forget what ANY of the books might say they are worth but actually what you think they are worth. This car has 42k original miles and is a CA black plate,2nd owner basically all original car with all documentation. Everything is either NOS or original. Not one single aftermarket part on the entire car. Loaded with all options except power trunk pull down, guidematic, and cruise. The car is light gold with sandalwood full leather interior, keep in mind it is a turn key car and everything works and needs abosultly nothing!! This is not a for sale ad, but a question to find out what the car would be worth if I were to by one. Please do not tell me get it as cheap as you can etc... but if you had the funds what do you think it is actually worth if it were to come up at a Barrett Jackson Auction.

Johnny F #662

Its worth as much as the seller is willing to sell it for and as much as the buyer is willing to pay.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 26, 2008, 02:56:17 AMIts worth as much as the seller is willing to sell it for and as much as the buyer is willing to pay.   
I was going to say that, but that isn't what Collector wanted.

And the only person that is going to be able to answer him correctly is someone that is actually wanting to buy the exact vehicle.

But, by adding the following sentence "but if you had the funds what do you think it is actually worth if it were to come up at a Barrett Jackson Auction.", then the sky is the limit.

Two buyers with unlimited funds could go as high as they wanted, but seeing that it is only a Coupe deVille, (Nothing against Coupe deVilles), then it wouldn't be too high..

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 26, 2008, 03:05:23 AM
Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 26, 2008, 02:56:17 AMIts worth as much as the seller is willing to sell it for and as much as the buyer is willing to pay.   
I was going to say that, but that isn't what Collector wanted.

And the only person that is going to be able to answer him correctly is someone that is actually wanting to buy the exact vehicle.

But, by adding the following sentence "but if you had the funds what do you think it is actually worth if it were to come up at a Barrett Jackson Auction.", then the sky is the limit.

Two buyers with unlimited funds could go as high as they wanted, but seeing that it is only a Coupe deVille, (Nothing against Coupe deVilles), then it wouldn't be too high..

Bruce. >:D

While it is true, that is not what the collector wanted to hear, that is the only accurate answer that can be given, other then "ballpark" guesses.  Even then, its still not what he wants, since he used the word "actually".

Fred Zwicker #23106

1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Johnny F #662

1961 CADILLAC DEVILLE 63 Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show  Loan
4D HARDTOP 6W 390/325 V8 2,500 4,500 7,000 9,000  4,000
2D COUPE DEVILLE HT 390/325 V8 3,500 7,000 10,000 12,000 S 6,500

Data updated December 2007 .

Richard Sills - CLC #936

At this year's Barrett-Jackson auction, an excellent original-looking '55 Coupe deVille brought $40,000.  An excellent 1964 Buick Wildcat 2-door hardtop brought $33,000 or $34,000.  Both figures exclude the buyer's commission.

A true #1 car is a real rarity.  Knowledgeable collectors will pay a premium for a car that is essentially turn-key, largely original, and does not need costly restoration.   Gold is not the most sought-after color, but the Coupe deVille is the most desirable body style among closed Cadillacs for 1961.  (As you know, there was no Eldorado Seville after 1960.)  Documentation, a known history, and low mileage are big pluses.  According to the description, the car would have factory air conditioning -- another plus, and a fairly rare item for a '61.

1961 Cadillacs have generally lagged behind the 1959 and 1960 in value, but I think it has appeal because it isn't one you see very often.  The "double fin" gives it a lot of visual interest, and the roofline on the '61 CDV is a one-year-only look.  My best guess for the car as described:  well worth $25,000; could bring over $30,000 if two bidders want it.

Just as an aside, I have seen full leather interiors on 1962 and later deVille hardtops, but never on a '61.  If I were considering this car, I would be interested to see if it is shown on the bill of sale, or if that is not available, I would check the sales literature or data book to make sure this feature was original.

wrefakis

The next " 100 point" 42k mile car I see,will be the first,this Barrett-Jackson Break the bank mindset is straight from 1989,take a look at this years sale,you will find the market heading south,Id be more then happy to price the car,if you are willing to post photos,I have owned 100's of low mile originals since 73,bill

Frank #12944

I have a '61 Coupe deVille also, an extermely nice car, 2nd at 1999 Grand National and 3rd at 2006 GN,
It is a full leather interior-s/o on the trim tag-it was listed as an available special order in the '61 data book, Ithink the price
listed was $188.10

As for value, I would agree that a true #1 car should be $30k and over dependending on the venue

collector

Yes, the car was at the Kruse auction 3 weeks ago and the final bid was 26.5 and that was from a wholesaler. So, you know if a wholesaler is willing to spent that for the car it would retail for alot more than that. Here is  link to the car as it is on the last two pages. Let me know what you think. http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/jirutenberg/

collector

I forgot to mention the history of the car. Bought from the original owner, the car had not been driven since 1984. The old man died and the elderly lady was unable to drive. The car actually has 52k miles as one of  the pictures show. The car is NOS GM or original from tail fin to headlamp from underneath to roof. Please give comments

collector

Quote from: South_paw on March 26, 2008, 07:28:51 PM
Quote from: collector on March 26, 2008, 07:21:56 PM
The car is NOS GM or original from tail fin to headlamp from underneath to roof. Please give comments

Pretty car but comes just short of your quote in this picture,

The correct battery for the car is this one,

A number one/100 point car must have the correct battery.
Lou (being very very picky) >:D
As long as it is afactory DELCO thats OK with me if you get into sub catagories then your right it should be a tartop. If you want to get really picky and petty also mention that the white walls arent the right size either, I perfer the smaller to the bigger and the car was built in July of 61

wrefakis

this car is restored,the leater used in 61 was a much thicker leather than is made today,and the high metallic content of the paint was not offered on 61 cars,nice car though

Joe Abernathy

I'm sorry guys, but there are VERY FEW 100 point or number 1 cars.  That is saying that the car is absolutely perfect original.  Like right off the assembley line into a plastic bubble.  ANY car that has been driven is NOT a 100 point or #1 car.

BJ

collector

Your right let me change that to a 99 point, I also believe that there are varying degress of #1 condition.

collector

Quote from: wrefakis on March 26, 2008, 08:58:46 PM
this car is restored,the leater used in 61 was a much thicker leather than is made today,and the high metallic content of the paint was not offered on 61 cars,nice car though
Wow, I just read the snide remarks about the leather and the metallic. I must have missed the option when buying my computer with the touch and feel screen with 50,000:1 contast, can you also tell me does your computer have the sratch and smell option as well?
First the metallic isnt heavy and second the leather isnt thin, have you seen the car in person or are you just being a little on the petty side?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have to agree with Joe's earlier post.

The term "100 points" and "condition one" are the most abused and misused
terms in our hobby -- mostly by sellers trying to exaggerate for effect.

Condition 1 means:  Restored to "as new" or better than when it came
off the assembly line, using the best technology and craftsmanship available
at the time of restoration.  By this yardstick, most brand new cars in th
showroom would have a tough time.  Call it "over restoration" if you will but
that's become the standard in shows for years now. These cars are not driven
and are equivalent to objects of art.  (See Old Cars Price Guide for more info).
There are very few cars that meet this criteria.

Therefore, it's not possible that an original car driven over 40K miles
can be correctly designated as 100 points condition 1.  It may be a "very
nice original" -- but that's all.  I have one of these myself (an original 1973
Eldorado that I've owned since new with 48K miles).

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

35-709

YOU are the one that started this, collector, please do not call others remarks snide.  To remind you ...........

Everything is either NOS or original.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

collector

Im talking about buying the car, its not mine. I find people get way off the subject when a question is asked and the sad thing is when you can't find something nice to say to try to find fault. I have NEVER ever seen a nicer one anywhere, and Ive looked at a ton. These cars are either over restored or junk. I actually have found that to be true in most cases even at the best car shows. Im sorry if that sounds rude but i'ts like saying, Your pretty, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you need a noise job or your eyes aren't blue enough or something like that. I asked you people how much is it worth and showed you pics and this is where it went. I see this happen to almost every single post, it starts out as a question or a comment and then it is twisted until, your talking about domryhing not even related to the subject at all. Im sorry but it's the truth.