News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need Help Removing windshield Trim 1957 Cadillac seville ?????

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 26, 2008, 08:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello, I am thinking  about having my  vinal top replaced on my 1957  seville, This requires removing the windshield . i would like to remove the windshield trim myself .  Any advise on how this is done . Is there a book i can Purchase on removing the trim ?I do not want to screw this up , so i must be sure .  Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

John Morris #23947

The side 2 verticle pieces are easy, just a couple tiny phillips screws. The upper long molding requires getting under the headliner to get to several nuts on studs. The 2 curved lower moldings have the clips exposed, with the doors open, 7 I believe, taking a phillips screwdriver. Loosen all the clips, then pull the 2 moldings apart, towards the side of the car.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Bill Balkie 24172

John ,
Thanks so much for your information, I want to replace the top on my 57 Seville  and I understand both front and back windshields have to be removed . Can you give me advise on removing the back windshield, and the side trim by the rear window . it would be greatly appreciated .

Bill
Quote from: John Morris #23947 on March 29, 2008, 09:43:56 PM
The side 2 verticle pieces are easy, just a couple tiny phillips screws. The upper long molding requires getting under the headliner to get to several nuts on studs. The 2 curved lower moldings have the clips exposed, with the doors open, 7 I believe, taking a phillips screwdriver. Loosen all the clips, then pull the 2 moldings apart, towards the side of the car.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

John Morris #23947

Hi Bill. The rears have always been trouble for me. They don't have the screws and fasteners like the front. I part 50s Caddys out as a hobby, and do not put them back together again. [I'm Humpty Dumpty]. It seems the rear moldings are inserted right into the window rubber, and I destroy the rubber getting the moldings off to avoid kinking the moldings. Does anyone else out there have a method of removing the rears without destruction? You may have to go to Steele Rubber [steal!!] and buy a new rear rubber.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Oldguy10

when you remove the moldings from the rear window of a 1957 Cadillac you must remove the 4 bolts inside the car. their is  one on each side of the car where the top piece meets the bottom piece, It is a stainless steel v shaped piece. remove the bolts on the inside and remove these pieces from each side of the car. Then in the center of the chrome pieces, there are 2 more bolts. one on the top and one on the bottom. remove them from the inside of the car. there is at least 4 clips along the bottom portion. these are screwed into the car to hold the chrome pieces in place. These must be carefully lifted upwards to release the chrome piece. use a very small screwdriver slide under the molding on a angle, twist the screwdriver slowly an it should unlock.
I hope this is of some help to you. I have attached some photos.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Nice response... but the topic is pushing SEVEN years old. If you're dragging up OLD topics, check the dates.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.