News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Convertible trim question

Started by Stanley Sipko, March 26, 2008, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Sipko

I am trying to find out what type of fastener would hold the outside moulding on the trim that goes around the bottom of the convertible top that continues onto the doors. There is a kind of flat moulding that goes on first then there is a clip that holds the rounded moulding to that. I have a friend that is doing a 47 convertible and the previous owner took the car apart and lost the fasteners. Please email me at honda858@epix.net  . A picture would help me out greatly. Thanks

Bill Ingler #7799

The stainless trim you are refereing too around the bottom of the top and across the quarter panel & doors is called belt molding. Originally under the belt molding is a thin piece of steel approzimatlly the same width as the belt molding only with a very small rolled bead on the edge. It is commonly refereed to as a snap on retainer. This snap on retainer was about the same length and followed the same curvature as the stainless steel molding. The snap on retainer molding used sheet metal screws to hold it on the car. Then the stainless steel belt molding was placed over the snap on molding and then you pushed down on the belt molding which had enough flexibility to snap over the rolled edge of the retainer locking the belt molding to the retainer. So maybe your friend still has this snap on molding. There should be a strip for the right door as well as the left. These molding where sometimes rusted to the point on being fit only for junk. These snap on retainers are next to impossible to find so if you do not have them then you will have to use a T shaped retainer. Email me direct and I can give you a source for these T shaped clips.