News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Flathead eight bronze gear

Started by ERIC CLAUSEN, March 30, 2008, 11:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ERIC CLAUSEN

Greetings,
I received a flyer in the mail regarding the bronze gear kit for the Cadillac and LaSalle eight cylinder engine for around $1200.
I just rebuilt my engine last year and it's doing fine so far using proper oil additive.
Is this a common issue of flatheads failing out there? The gear system advertized is costly and involves replacing several pieces from the oil pump shaft to the bronze gear.
I would consider replacing these parts it if I was rebuilding the engine,
One would assume there are many miles left on my freshly rebuilt engine with original straight drive tower shaft and oil pump shaft and new bronze gear I put in last year.
Please don't misunderstand, I appreciate the efforts of the gentleman who has gone to the trouble of reproducing these parts which we all may need at some point.
Any comments please.
Eric

vicbrincat

Eric,

sorry I have no input but would like to know what addititives you have been using.
I will not be firing up my flathead for some time but would like to add the correct lubricants when I do.

Thanks!
Vic

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Eric: If I were you I would continue with the engine the way it is and use the recommended additives to prolong the life of the engine using todays oil. As you are aware, the cost of rebuilding an engine leaves a big hole in ones wallet.The $1200 includes more than just a new bronze gear. The additional items may or may not be needed on an engine rebuild. I am having a local machine shop here in Phoenix rebuild my 41 short block. I have elected to replace the bronze gear with a very good used gear from a junk engine. The shop that I am using for the short block does a lot of flat heads and the owner said the new oil is playing havoc with our old flat head engines. I will continue to use 4ozs of GMs Camshaft and Lifter Prelube #12345501 in each oil change on my 47 as well as the 41. I also have GMs EOS Assembly Lubricant # 1052367 but have not used as yet. I might have missed it but I have not seen the recommended amount of the ESO to use with an oil change. It has been recommended that even if you were lucky enough to find some of the old SJ oil which contained some zinc, still use an additive.

35-709

For a 4 quart oil change (5 with filter) the recommendations I have seen call for 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of EOS, OR, one 4oz. bottle of the GM Camshaft and Lifter Prelube if you are using an SM or CJ rated oil. 

It is the SM and CJ rated oils that are low on ZDDP and will no doubt need additional ZDDP added for older engines.  I have still been able to find Pennzoil 10W-40 rated SL at Wal-Mart.  You don't have to go back as far as SJ oils.  This all has been discussed ad-nauseum here and can be read again by putting "ZDDP" in SEARCH.  Adding ZDDP is cheap insurance and should not be considered just an aftermarket additive since it is what the oil companies themselves have added to motor oils since the late 40's.  It won't hurt.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Geoff: Thanks for the info on the amount of EOS to use for an oil change. I copied your reply to my computer for future reference. 

Kerry Pilling

One can of STP used at each oil change will be more than enough zddp and you engine should last a long time. My dad got 180,000 miles out of his LaSalle engine before needing any work using STP.  The engine finally needed a ring and valve job but was still able to drive 60 mph all the way to the shop for the R/V job. I have used STP in all my vehicles over the years with good results. It's one of the few additives that work. Kerry