News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cad 46, change of weather stripping in the front window, additional parts?

Started by Richard W. Lundgren, March 31, 2008, 03:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard W. Lundgren

Hello,

I am about to change the weather stripping in the front window on my Cad 46 Ser 62 5 Passenger Club Coupe (Sedanette). Before I start I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if there are any additional parts that I should get before I start work? I have brand new weather stripping. But what I would like to know is if there is any "replaceable parts" such as brackets etc underneath the chrome bars that holds it all in place. If so how many and any tips on where I can get these parts? My idea is just to have it all ready so the replacement of the weather stripping can go fast and that I will not be left standing with the car waiting for new parts in order to complete the work. I have tried to read upon the subject in my books, however information on this issue is scant.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Richard

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Give Jack Hoffmann in WI a shout. He is in the Directory. He's done a couple of '41s and a '49, so should know what he's talking about. He has a shop phone where he usually can be found during "business" hours.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Richard: When you say weatherstrip, there are 3 weatherstrips needed to change your windshield. One is the big vulcanized windshield channel gasket, another is what is called the pinchweld seal which is under the stainless steel reveal molding around the windshield. That is the hardest to do and requires the removal of the reveal molding. The 3rd gasket is the retainer gasket for the outside windshield center post stainless molding. The gasket which probably causes most of the leaks is the pinch weld gasket. Email me and I will tell you how to get the reveal molding off the car. In fact if you talk with Jack, he is the one who guided me on taking off the reveal molding on my 47. I havn`t talked with you lately, hope all is well in Sweden.  Bill