News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 2dr door molding

Started by Armond, April 02, 2008, 03:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armond

I was going to re-chrome the moldings on my 56, I noticed that the ones on driver side and passenger side doors are stainless steel and the rest on the front fenders and the rear quarter panels are steel of course the stainless ones are in a good shape and needs just polish but the rest are all faded.Can anyone tell me if this is how it came from the factory or mine could have been replaced with the incorrect parts at some point?

Michael

Hi,
My car is the same, as are other ones I've seen, so I would have to say it is factory. I can not answer why they would have done this though, sorry.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Armond,

I am not sure but I believe the side moulding were all stainless.

The stainless was flash chromed, chrome over the stainless (no copper or nickel), so when polishing be carefull if you go through the chrome you hit the stainless which looks different.

The side verticles on the back were not stainless and perhaps the vedrticle behind the doors, but the other parts were, I believe, stainless with flash chrome.

56 Coupe Deville owned for over 30 years.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

John Morris #23947

And, on 54-55, the fender moldings are stainless, if my memory [shot] does not fail me. I think they fit on 56 but won't need rechroming.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Armond

Thanks for the responses. They were very helpful in my restoration project.

Roger Zimmermann

The side moldings for the front fenders are chromed sheet metal. The side moldings on doors are stainless steel, flash chromed. The moldings on rear doors or rear quarter are chromed pot metal. Quite a variety of materials!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101