News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ca 1916 Cadillac speedster?

Started by Tom C. Clarke, April 04, 2008, 05:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom C. Clarke

Can anyone identify the posed scene below? The driver might be a celebrity owner, or connected to Cadillac. To my untutored eye it looks like a speedster or racer body and might be a well known photo. Thanks, Tom Clarke, England

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Tom C. Clarke on April 04, 2008, 05:40:18 AM
Can anyone identify the posed scene below? The driver might be a celebrity owner, or connected to Cadillac. To my untutored eye it looks like a speedster or racer body and might be a well known photo. Thanks, Tom Clarke, England

04-05-08
TOM, I should be able to comed-up with a name soon, I know I"VE seen that photo before. Meanwhile I'LL take the "Salior straw hat".
Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

homeonprunehill

04-08-08
TOM, Could it be EITHER  !. RALPH De PALMA, who drove for and owned both MB & PACKARD race car prior to WWI. or 2. EDDIE V. RICKENBACKER Famose WWI flying ACE. He raced from 1909-1917. I believe the car in your picture to be an earlier model then you think.

Tom Hall 7485

Sorry, the man is not Eddie Rickenbacker.  Here's Eddie, circa 1918:
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Tom Clarke

Thanks to Jim and others who have pondered my request. Not Rickenbacker we now know, but also not Ralph de Palma because I've compared his face with my original photo and I don't think it works. Frustrating! Don't give up, I think this image must have been used somewhere before. Thanks, Tom Clarke, England

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Quote from: Tom Hall 7485 on April 09, 2008, 09:32:06 AM
Sorry, the man is not Eddie Rickenbacker.  Here's Eddie, circa 1918:
I took pictures of the Rickenbacker plant in Detroit last fall.  The building was for sale at that time.  It is on Cabot street, several blocks east of Wyoming, and just south of Michigan Avenue, in Detroit.

homeonprunehill

04-30-08
TOM. are there any dates on the back of the picture to indicate a date earler then 1916? The reason I ask is that from going throught the Cadillac "data-base",And from what I see, the picture that TOM posted is more likely made in 1914 or even sooner judgeing from the "timing-control" being on the steering wheel!!! what do the readers think. Good Luck,Jim

homeonprunehill

05-01-08
TOM, I have been looking at the "NEW CAEDILLAC DATABASE" and have found one 1910 "runabout" that has a "ROUND-GAS-TANK" like the one in your picture that you posted, but,the 1910 modal. Also, the "SPARK-&-THROTTLE"controls were on the steering-wheel, like they are in your picture. Plus the CADILLAC "Scrip", on the gas tank, is of that era. SORRY, I still don't have a name for you. I found the car under;"Dream cars and Show cars. Good Luck,JIM