News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Lasalle Ambulance Superior?

Started by Tyler Atkinson, April 04, 2008, 09:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler Atkinson

1939 Lasalle. I have searched for countless hours on any information I could find. I believe it to be superior by design and the heater in the cab. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson
1976 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1939 LaSalle Ambulance (Superior Body Company)

Tom Hall 7485

I agree that it's a Superior body.  This style is shown on page 189 of American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900 by Thomas McPherson (out of print).  However, it's difficult to tell from your photo if it's a Cadillac or a La Salle; Superior built on both the La Salle chassis and the Cadillac chassis.  Depending on what's inside, it could be a hearse.  I hope you can save it.  There are very few pre-WWII Cad-La Salle professional cars left.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Tyler Atkinson

I guarntee 100% that it is an ambulance and a Lasalle. When I get a chance, I will take picures of the spots where someone welded over the roof light holes, and the front end has been removed by me, and sits in my carport. I can post a picture of it if you want.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson

Kerry

You might be able to get more info from the cadillac/LaSalle club historians about your ambulance. Good Luck, Kerry

Tyler Atkinson

That would be a bit hard because I don't have the origional body tag on it, or any body tag for that matter. :(
Here are some more pics. Hope they help identify it.

There is one unique thing about this car, and thats the fact that the larger side door windows roll down.

I do know that the origional paint was black, along with the upholster. I have found a website called trombinoscar.com that says there were only 4 1939 model 50 LaSalles that Superior changed into hearses/ambulances. I don't know how trustworthy the site is, and if anyone thinks that this is incorrect, please tell me anything you know as to the quantity that they did build.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Tyler on April 23, 2008, 06:23:16 PM
That would be a bit hard because I don't have the origional body tag on it, or any body tag for that matter. :(

There is one unique thing about this car, and thats the fact that the larger side door windows roll down.

I do know that the origional paint was black, along with the upholster. I have found a website called trombinoscar.com that says there were only 4 1939 model 50 LaSalles that Superior changed into hearses/ambulances. I don't know how trustworthy the site is, and if anyone thinks that this is incorrect, please tell me anything you know as to the quantity that they did build.

\04-23-08
TYLER,To start BLACK is PAINT COLOR # 1  ( for both Cadeillac & la Salle)(ALL rediators,regardless of maker, were BLACK, Something to do with coolin,I'am told)from the picures that you have posted, the car could be a Cadillac or La Salle. The door handles are NOT La Salle, The tranny shift has been added to make it a floor shifter. THE photo that shows a partal tail light, could be a Cadillac. The sprit windshield didn't come into being untill 1938 with the interduction of the "Column-shift"(three on the tree,) (The younger folks like to call it.) The stiffner molded into the "firewall", I think is difference then my '38 La Salle, also I don't think SUPERIOR or anyone else would go so far as to change the Dash,or fenders or tail-lights, Tyler, You mention something about thye heater, As you no doubt know, Heathers were installed by the dealers And were ordered seperetly.(I don't Know what they did in the case of a CDX car.) Good Luck,Jim.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Wayne Collins #23179

Tyler, contact me as I have some info for you.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: homeonprunehill on April 23, 2008, 07:54:09 PM
Quote from: Tyler on April 23, 2008, 06:23:16 PM

\04-23-08
TYLER,To start BLACK is PAINT COLOR # 1  ( for both Cadeillac & la Salle)(ALL rediators,regardless of maker, were BLACK, Something to do with coolin,I'am told)from the picures that you have posted, the car could be a Cadillac or La Salle. The door handles are NOT La Salle, The tranny shift has been added to make it a floor shifter. THE photo that shows a partal tail light, could be a Cadillac. The sprit windshield didn't come into being untill 1938 with the interduction of the "Column-shift"(three on the tree,) (The younger folks like to call it.) The stiffner molded into the "firewall", I think is difference then my '38 La Salle, also I don't think SUPERIOR or anyone else would go so far as to change the Dash,or fenders or tail-lights, Tyler, You mention something about thye heater, As you no doubt know, Heathers were installed by the dealers And were ordered seperetly.(I don't Know what they did in the case of a CDX car.) Good Luck,Jim.

04-23-08
Tyler, I noticed what I think is a "Cadillac"LOGO under the wriper control. you post a picture of it , please, it is above the radio-speaker grill, also, there is the outline of a "Cadillac"logo on the "heater". Good Luck,JIM.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

veesixteen

I agree it's a 1939 LaSalle.  Cadillacs of that year did not have such a narrow grille housing.  The dash layout coluld be 1939 LaSalle or Cadillac. The side door window is particularly wide, as used on some Cadillac and LaSalle funeral car bodies mounted on the commercial chassis by both Superior and Brantford.

Quote from: Tyler on April 04, 2008, 09:38:59 PM
1939 Lasalle. I have searched for countless hours on any information I could find. I believe it to be superior by design and the heater in the cab. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Tyler Atkinson

Thanks for the interesting notes and info. Here are some more pictures.

Better picture of the heater

Better picture of the dash

LaSalle is written on the dash (I know that can be changed, please don't point it out)

I believe that someone pointed out that there was something that looked like a Cadillac symbol under the windshield wipers. This is what I believe they saw, and it is the original A/C, you just need to pull a lever to open it. (I can't open this one because someone not only gummed it up with some tar like substance, but the mechanical aspect of it is pretty rusted and stuck)
If anyone would like some more pictures, please tell me and I will gladly take them and post them.
Tyler 'Tyrone' Atkinson