News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle 322cui Flathead Water outlets

Started by Aeroman (Juan Ramirez), April 05, 2008, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Hello everyone, I am need of some advice.  I am going to either repair or replace the two water outlets that come off the front of the flathead 322cui engine off my '39 LaSalle coupe.  Currently, the pipes on each side are rotted out.  These are the 1 1/4" OD steel pipes that connect directly to the rubber hoses to the radiator.  I unbolted both from each side and had planned to remove the pipes off the flanges.  I would then replace each pipe with a steel pipe of similar (or close) to similar dimensions.  I have pondered about using stainless steel piping instead and making the diamond shaped flanges out of 1/4" thick stainless steel.  I would get a pipe bender to make the 90 degree bend and then MIG weld the pipe to the flange.  Your thoughts?  Thanks....
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Aeroman (Juan Ramirez) on April 05, 2008, 10:41:29 PM
Hello everyone, I am need of some advice.  I am going to either repair or replace the two water outlets that come off the front of the flathead 322cui engine off my '39 LaSalle coupe.  Currently, the pipes on each side are rotted out.  These are the 1 1/4" OD steel pipes that connect directly to the rubber hoses to the radiator.  I unbolted both from each side and had planned to remove the pipes off the flanges.  I would then replace each pipe with a steel pipe of similar (or close) to similar dimensions.  I have pondered about using stainless steel piping instead and making the diamond shaped flanges out of 1/4" thick stainless steel.  I would get a pipe bender to make the 90 degree bend and then MIG weld the pipe to the flange.  Your thoughts?  Thanks....

04-05-08
JUAN, I like your idea of using SS for the flange portion of the water out-lets. Just be sure that who-ever welds the pipe gets it positioned correctly. I had the ones on my '38 rebuilt and should-have taken them back. I don't know how the welder got then position wrong. Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

Thanks Jim.  Yes, I was checking out the pieces and realized that they come off 90 degrees off the flange but 30 degrees upward reaching out to the top of the radiator.  Were yours made parallel to the heads of the engine?
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Aeroman (Juan Ramirez) on April 06, 2008, 03:51:19 AM
Thanks Jim.  Yes, I was checking out the pieces and realized that they come off 90 degrees off the flange but 30 degrees upward reaching out to the top of the radiator.  Were yours made parallel to the heads of the engine?
04-08-08
Juan,I"am not where I can check the angles, but I do know that I had to put the bolts into the water manifolds prior to mounting them to the heads. Juan,insist that they be welded as they presently are. Another thing you will notice is that one head has a smaller hole (water outlet) then the other head(facing the rear of the car, it should be the Right Head  that has the smaller hole). (the reason being, the smaller hole acts as a restricter so the heads can maintain the same tempture) Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

I think McVeys sells them new.  I have not tried them, so I'm not sure if the angles are correct.