News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Retro Fitting A/C To A 1961 Series 62

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 06, 2008, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Has anyone here ever added to a non a/c Cadillac a complete A/C system? I want to put A/C in my 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible. My car has the end a/c vents but my dash was from a 1962 Cadillac (go figure). Why someone updated a 1961 to a 1962 dash is beyond me.
If so is there a web site or can you please tell me how it was done and where the parts and mountings were found.

Thanks
Jack

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The only way to do this job correctly is to have a donor car  right next to your car. Trying to get some one to send you all the pieces causes problems. Put the correct dash in at the same time. You will also have to decide to keep the A-5 compressor or upgrade to an A-6.  Good Luck. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on April 06, 2008, 03:02:28 PM
The only way to do this job correctly is to have a donor car  right next to your car. Trying to get some one to send you all the pieces causes problems. Put the correct dash in at the same time. You will also have to decide to keep the A-5 compressor or upgrade to an A-6.  Good Luck. Bob

I am in the middle of removing the 62 dash and putting in a 61 dash.
A lot of parts

Jack

John Fotakis #23436

Hi again. Keep in mind the changes made to air-con cars at the factory which were considered necessary to cope with the extra demands of air-con.  For example a 45 amp. generator and voltage regulator as opposed to 35 amp. ones, carburettor adjustments to deal with extra demands at idle, different axle ratios, fans, etc, etc. - all detailed in the air-con section of the manual.   Good Luck, John

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: John Fotakis #23436 on April 06, 2008, 10:58:50 PM
Hi again. Keep in mind the changes made to air-con cars at the factory which were considered necessary to cope with the extra demands of air-con.  For example a 45 amp. generator and voltage regulator as opposed to 35 amp. ones, carburettor adjustments to deal with extra demands at idle, different axle ratios, fans, etc, etc. - all detailed in the air-con section of the manual.   Good Luck, John
That's exactly why I suggested the donor car to be there. The differences are many.  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

John Morris #23947

I agree with Bob about having an a/c parts car right there, along with a Master Parts List. I sell 100% complete a/c systems when I have them, but most all people who sell "complete" systems don't even know what all is there, including waterpump, fuel filter and bypass line, fan & shroud, gen and v. reg, and lots more. The entire right fender must come off. Many components should be rebuilt including compressor, bypass valve, receiver. You can likely find a donor car on Ebay with a complete system, then get a Master Parts List.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

richard

i have some extra a/c parts for a 61 cad i deleted a system. 323 2595905  or 1818 3218226 richard