News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The Mamie 55 Cadillac Limo.

Started by Charles D. Barnette, April 08, 2008, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

I congratulate Bob Morrow (whom I hold in great respect) on a very fine article entitled "Mamie's Car: 1955 Cadillac 75" appearing in the April 2008 issue of The Self-Starter. I am highly flattered to think I might have had some influence on him in writing about this beautiful 55. This article brings together my love of history as well as my love of the 1955 Cadillac. After reading the article and understanding that the car was modified at the request of a great First Lady, Mamie Eisenhower, and also understanding that the car was modified by the outstanding firm of Hess & Eisenhardt (who fashioned the "Kennedy" Lincoln X-100), I now capitulate and name it the #2 most famous 1955 Cadillac behind #one Elvis' 1955 pink Fleetwood. However I would hasten to add that the "Mamie 55" is more of a show car with its modifications and probably would fall into the same category as the 1955 Eldorado Brougham Show Car when it comes to "Fam-osity". My love for the 1955 Cadillac stems from my 1955 maroon Cadillac Series 62 Sedan which was my dad's first Cadillac, the car I learned to drive in, the car I had my first date in, the car I drove to high school and college in, and the car I still have. I have said it before, and I will say it again that Cadillac got the 55 right in all respects. Finally, I like the beautiful 55 coupe being on the front cover of the same issue. Long live the 1955 Cadillac! Charles D. Barnette

CEC #20099

CEC #20099     Mr. Barnette.

Right on concerning 55 Cad`s, EXCEPT, the Signal Seek radios did not have manual tuning in 1955,
which caused a lot of problems when the signal seeker failed. For 56, Cad fixed the problem.

I have had 2 well worn 55`s over the years. A total stranger can walk up to one, & know it is a Cadillac. Try that with your Toyota.