News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do I Repair a pot metal Defrost or Heat or Vent arm on a Cadillac control

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 10, 2008, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Has anyone here successfully repaired a heater or defroster or vent control arm on their Cadillac?
I was moving one of them on my 1961 control and I guess that the cable was frozen and the arm snapped.
I have the whole dash apart now and I want to get it done.
If the arm didn't snap I couldn't have gotten it out of the front panel slat. I have to figure that out too.

Help!!

Jack

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441 on April 10, 2008, 04:58:17 PM
Has anyone here successfully repaired a heater or defroster or vent control arm on their Cadillac?
I was moving one of them on my 1961 control and I guess that the cable was frozen and the arm snapped.
I have the whole dash apart now and I want to get it done.
If the arm didn't snap I couldn't have gotten it out of the front panel slat. I have to figure that out too.

Help!!

Jack
[/quote
04-10-08
JACK, Sounds like it will have to be welded and replated. Try oregon replating
phone number 503-232-7416 Talk to Gary If it can be fixed, it will come back looking better then new.
Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I was actually able to make a template of the heat arm, then I cut one out of the same thickness sheet metal, chrome paint it and use JB weld & screws to hold the chromed tip on the end.
It works fine and saved me the expense of finding a used control (for now) as long as it lasts.

Jack

PS:  I got in touch with a real nice guy named John who just sold me a used working complete control unit for $20.00 including shipping.
So I will keep one of them for a backup. (we all need backup's don't we)