News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 Eldorado - Freshen it up or leave it alone?

Started by 55EldoLover, April 12, 2008, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55EldoLover

Folks,

I have a dilemma.  I have a beautiful 55 Eldorado with 50k original miles.  I just had the car freshened up mechanically, staying very true its originality.  It is a number matching, nothing missing, no rust, on and on.  It's had one very high quality repaint back in the eighties staying true to its black color (black and white interior white top).    Visually the car is stunning!  Original interior - even the carpet - is virtually perfect. There is one thing - the chrome, gold and the weather stripping...

The chrome has a little patina in some places, the gold script and crests are worn looking, and (cause of my dilemma) the previous owner rechromed only the Dagmires making the rest of the chrome look even more worn than it actually is...

I love that the car is so original.  Replating seems to dilute the cars original unrestored status even further.

Dilemma - replate or not to replate?  Does it hurt its claim of originality?

(I will try to post pictures later today, but am interested in your thoughts)
Mario Pipkin
----------------------------------
1955 ELDORADO CONV
1955 Buick Roadmaster
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1963 SERIES 62 CONV
1971 ELDORADO CONV
1971 Cuda Convertible
1972 Buick Stage 1
1972 Porsche 911S

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Eldo,

I drive a '56 CDV.   The original owner rechromed everything before trading it in on a Rolls Royce back in the '90s and it really makes the car.  I would redo the chrome to match if it's really that noticeable. Nothing sets off a car like nice shiny chrome and likewise detracts from it if its dull and worn. Since it isn't original now anyway (with new paint and partial chrome), you're not really preserving anything anyway.

Forrest

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: 55EldoLover on April 12, 2008, 11:29:32 AM
Folks,

I have a dilemma.  I have a beautiful 55 Eldorado with 50k original miles.  I just had the car freshened up mechanically, staying very true its originality.  It is a number matching, nothing missing, no rust, on and on.  It's had one very high quality repaint back in the eighties staying true to its black color (black and white interior white top).    Visually the car is stunning!  Original interior - even the carpet - is virtually perfect. There is one thing - the chrome, gold and the weather stripping...

The chrome has a little patina in some places, the gold script and crests are worn looking, and (cause of my dilemma) the previous owner rechromed only the Dagmires making the rest of the chrome look even more worn than it actually is...

I love that the car is so original.  Replating seems to dilute the cars original unrestored status even further.

Dilemma - replate or not to replate?  Does it hurt its claim of originality?

(I will try to post pictures later today, but am interested in your thoughts)

Hello!

I've just finished restoring one of these beauties last year and I can tell you it's a hugely
expensive undertaking.

As far as the "chrome trim"  it has a mix of pot metal, stainless, aluminum alloy and chrome
plated steel as well as gold plated accent pieces.

To do the chrome correctly on this car will set you back over $25K.  The most difficult pieces
are the upper door sill trim (fron & rear) ribbed panels.  It's almost impossible to get the pits
out without ruining the piece.  Also, the Sabre wheels are aluminum alloy and are correctly done
by just one shop in the country (Valley Wire Wheel in CA) and he charges about $2,200 per
wheel.  The aluminum alloy bumper ends are another issue, most shops will not touch them
since if not done just right, the plating peels off in less than a year.  The script and "V,s" are gold
plated over brass (not anodized) ao that's another issue.

However, in my opinion, trying to do a "partial resto" on a care like this is not a good idea.
If you do some of the pieces, put them back on the car, all of a sudden other things will not
look "right".  Your car will not be "original' and it will not be "restored" either -- something in
between.  On a partial resto, the tough question is "where do you stop".  If it's a nice
original -- I would leave it alone.

I've been down the "partial resto" road and (in my case anyway) it turned out to be
"all or nothing" by the time I finished.  It would have been cheaper (and far less headache)
to do it right the first time.

Feel free to E-Mail me with any specific questions and good luck!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Otto Skorzeny

I should have been more specific in my reply. I meant to suggest that you rechrome the rest of the front bumper so at least there's a uniform look. When I replaced my rear bumper ends I went ahead had did the center portion in order to match the new pieces. Mike is  right about the cost to rechrome every piece on the car - inside and out. I t would cost pretty close to that.

Things like the script, letters, and gold badges on the fenders are cheaper to buy brand new from McVey's than to have them replated.

Since you've already done the mechanicals and interior, I would do trim pieces as they warrant otr as time and money allows.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

55EldoLover

Thanks for the replies.  They are very helpful - keep them coming!

Let me clarify - interior is near perfect original.  Only some exterior chrome is in need of help - bumpers, scripting and "V".  The saddles are fine as is ALL the interior trim, window frames, windshield, knobs, etc. - all original, but shines like new and has no pitting. Wheels are shinny you can see some pitting if you stare long enough.

Based on what I have read, here is what I am thinking:

1) Rechrome the bumpers as they are the issue.
2) Call McVey for pricing on scripts and "V" items.
3) Consider doing a "full restore" - ok, I considered it.  Car doesn't need it.
4) Hit Mike with a mail if I have more specific questions.  (thanks) :)

To be clear the car was just in a huge show here in Seattle (Seattle Roadster Show) and was judged against many fully restored cars and took third place.  I may have made it sound rougher than it is, but your advice is still very meaningful.
Mario Pipkin
1955 ELDORADO CONV
1955 Buick Roadmaster
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1963 SERIES 62 CONV
1971 ELDORADO CONV
1971 Cuda Convertible
1972 Buick Stage 1
1972 Porsche 911S

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Just one thought about your last comment.  McVey's repros on the script and "V's"
may be cheaper -- but they do not look as nice as the originals.  A minor thing, but
it's worth the small extra $$ to have your originals redone (unless they are really bad,
which doesn't sound like the case, since your car is in good shape).

Again, all the best o luck with your project.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Podany #19567

Follow Mike Josephic's advice; he knows this model inside and out.  I also own a 55 Eldo which had a full restoration in the late 90's and it was awarded 100 points by the CLC and AACA then.  These cars are expensive to fully restore and to authenticate, even if you have a good car to start off with; the cost easily is into six figures.  My Eldorado caught fire in its engine compartment, and it is resulting in almost a complete re-restoration as I want to return it to its concours condition.  It has been in Harbor Auto Restoration in Florida since August, 2007 and won't be complete for another six months.  The problem with a pristine restoration is this: you have a show car, and driving it regularly slowly deteriorates its pristine condition, unless your Jay Leno with a crew of 13 to repair imperfections from such frivolity.  If you want to drive the car frequently, I suggest you preserve it, maintain it, repair it whenever needed, and keep it safe for the road.  Once you spend 100K to 200K and have a pristine show car, driving it as a hobby thereafter deteriorates your investment.  But, this car is one thing of beauty never to be denied weather you preserve it, or restore it.  If I can be of any help, please advise.  If your not a member, I suggest joining the Cadillac Chapter for 54 to 56 Cadillac's called the Cadill-Ikes; these members are great and very knowledgable, and very helpful

Bill Podany
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

55EldoLover

These are the only shots I have at the moment.  Many others to load.  But these should give you an idea of the condition of the chrome.
Mario Pipkin
1955 ELDORADO CONV
1955 Buick Roadmaster
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1963 SERIES 62 CONV
1971 ELDORADO CONV
1971 Cuda Convertible
1972 Buick Stage 1
1972 Porsche 911S

Bill Podany #19567

Those pictures look great; what a beautiful 55 Eldo.  Post more photos, thanks.

Bill Podany
1955 Eldorado

55EldoLover

Found a few more.
Mario Pipkin
1955 ELDORADO CONV
1955 Buick Roadmaster
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1963 SERIES 62 CONV
1971 ELDORADO CONV
1971 Cuda Convertible
1972 Buick Stage 1
1972 Porsche 911S

Bill Podany #19567

Your pictures indicate that you have a large and varied vintage car collection; if you decide to bring this car to concours condition it should be a decision totally based on your continued value of personal ownership of the vehicle.  The interior pictures present the car beautifully; but they also indicate that the value of the white tonation of the seats vs. the door and side panels are considerably different.  Perhaps this is merely a lighting effect when the interior pictures were taken.  If this observation is accurate, then, the car's interior has undergone a partial restoration of the interior, and to that end, the car is not original, nor is it one in the preservation status.  If these assumptions are correct, your alternatives going forward, are multiple.   In short, this looks like a beautiful example of a 55 Edlo to be preserved, or restored.
1955 Eldorado

55EldoLover

Thanks for the observation. 

The "mismatch" in color is lighting. The leather interior actually matches the door panels perfectly.  I'll search for a few other shots. I actually started not to load the interior shots for the reason you mention.  The lighting even makes the front whitewall look like it glows in comparison other whites in the photo - or in your terms value of the white tonation.  But it was all I could find really quickly.

Your assumptions are incorrect, but your observations are accurate based on lighting effects of the photographs.

Stay tuned.  I'll find some outdoor shots and upload then for our shared scrutiny. ;)

Thanks for the comment and stay tuned.
Mario Pipkin
1955 ELDORADO CONV
1955 Buick Roadmaster
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1963 SERIES 62 CONV
1971 ELDORADO CONV
1971 Cuda Convertible
1972 Buick Stage 1
1972 Porsche 911S

76eldo

It's beautiful. Don't change a thing.

Drive it, enjoy it, leave your wrenches in the tool box.

Just my opinion,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv