News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead manifolds, broken bolt

Started by Bill Gauch #23121, April 13, 2008, 07:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch #23121

I was removing the exhaust manifolds this weekend, with the intention of having them re-porcelainized. When I was removing the bolts on the cross-over pipe, it snapped off flush with the surface of the lower pipe. I haven't contacted any companies, but would removing the broken bolt be something I should leave to them? I assume they have access to some sort of repair/machining facilities, so I would think they can do it. I'm hesitant to use a bolt extractor because I've read too many horror stories of them breaking off. I could drill it out and use Heli-coils or I could find a machine shop to deal with the whole thing. I'm just wondering what is the best option. Anyone have any input?
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

harry s

Prairie Porcelain in Wisconsin does a good job recoating and repairing manifolds. I don't have their number right off hand, but they advertise in Hemmings and other publications. I could not find a web site.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Bill Gauch #23121 on April 13, 2008, 07:58:57 PM
I was removing the exhaust manifolds this weekend, with the intention of having them re-porcelainized. When I was removing the bolts on the cross-over pipe, it snapped off flush with the surface of the lower pipe. I haven't contacted any companies, but would removing the broken bolt be something I should leave to them? I assume they have access to some sort of repair/machining facilities, so I would think they can do it. I'm hesitant to use a bolt extractor because I've read too many horror stories of them breaking off. I could drill it out and use Heli-coils or I could find a machine shop to deal with the whole thing. I'm just wondering what is the best option. Anyone have any input?

04-13-08
BILL,Don't you just hate it when that happens. I'M asssumeing that you got the other bolt out. Your best bet is to take the part with the broken -bolt to a MACHINE SHOP unless you have had some expiance with removing broken bolts . If the answer to the last statement is YES . Soak the broken bolt with PB Blaster for two-three days,drill a hole almost all of the way throught the broken bolt, then take your "easy-out" and gently turn the  bolt out. If you think you will screw-up, you will. Stop what you are doing and tak it to a machine shop that has removed broken bolts before.
What they will do is : drill out the broken bolt and tap-out the bolt to the origional thread.  Bill, when you drill out the bolt,MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET IT CENTERED. Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: harry s on April 13, 2008, 08:44:54 PM
Prairie Porcelain in Wisconsin does a good job recoating and repairing manifolds. I don't have their number right off hand, but they advertise in Hemmings and other publications. I could not find a web site.

Prairie Auto Porcelain, (Contact: Tom) 1725 Cannon City Blvd., Faribault, MN 55021.  Phone: 507-645-5325   Email: tandmsparrow@earthlink.net

I would be surprised if they were unable to remove the broken off bolt, as they probably run into this frequently. 

Here is a picture of my manifold that was porcelainized by Prairie.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kerry

Bill, if your  handy you can center tap the broken bolt and then drill it to the appropriate size for the easy out you'll use and then before you use the easy out heat the bolt with an oxyacetelene torch. Get the bolt to a cherry red color and then using some leather gloves to avoid burns the easy out should bring the broken bolt right out like a hot knife thru butter! I've used this method with great success everytime including broken manifold bolts. If you don't feel comfortable doing it this way then any auto parts store with a machine shop can do it for you. Happy Motoring, Kerry

Bill Gauch #23121

Do most auto parts stores elsewhere have machine shops in-house? I have a NAPA and Autozone here and neither has one. The closest automotive machine shop near here is about 45 minutes to an hour away.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Whit Otis, 1188

Yes, Kerry is quite right, heat is the key.  I broke off the same stud on my 40-75.  I just used my little torch with the throw away gas cans.  After drilling the hole for the easy out, heat the broken stud as hot as you can.  You will know when it is ready for removal as you will hear it go "ting" when the stud breaks loose from the threads in the manifold.... install your easy out, and it should come right out.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger