News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gas Tank

Started by Kerry, April 14, 2008, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry

Does anyone out there know where I can get a 1939 LaSalle gas tank? After pulling mine and sending it off to CA. to Renu a gas tank repair company, they have informed me that the top of the tank is too thin and they can't repair it.  So now I'm looking for a good used tank. Is there anyone making new tanks? Will a Cadillac series 61 fit? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Kerry

does

Otto Skorzeny

Is it possible to cut the top out and weld in a replacement panel?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on April 14, 2008, 08:29:21 PM
Is it possible to cut the top out and weld in a replacement panel?

I would be afraid of welding, but is it possible to fiberglass a new top on the tank, using fiberglass matting?  Just a thought - I don't think fiberglass would be attacked by gas after it once dries, but I do not know this.  If it would work it would not show.  However, before doing this, would want to be sure that the tank itself is clean.  I guess I was lucky when I sent my 39 LaSalle gas tank to Gas Tank Renu - it came back like new without any problems.

I once had a gas tank for a Model A Ford and the bottom of the tank was full of pin holes, but still in one piece and I was able to coat the entire surface with a product called Gasoila and it held up for many years.  I just painted it with the Gasoila (using a paint brush) in several coats.  You can still find this product by doing a Google Search. It is orange in color, but can be painted black after it dries.  This is a good product for such a project.  It is also good for sealing threads exposed to gasoline.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

KerryK

Fred, where did you send your tank? I sent mine to Mac's Radiator in Bellflower, CA. I really didn't think it was that bad. They say they are looking for another tank for me but I don't know how aggressive they will be. I called them back and had them save the tank for me.  If push comes to shove I liked your fiberlgass idea. Do you kinow if any other tanks might fit? Thanks alot for all your help so far. Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

I sent my tank to Gas Tank Renu in Ravenna, Ohio (all of their franchises seem to be independently operated, so results can vary from location to location).  You would think that someone in that business would run into this problem frequently and have an answer and this could result in extra revenue for them.  I would get the tank back from them, as sooner or later it will be "missing" or something will go wrong.  Then check out the rusted areas yourself.  If only pin holes in the top, the Gasoila should do the trick.  If the bottom is OK, your problems are not as bad as if the bottom was rusted out.  I don't know of anyone making such tanks, due to limited demand.

Fred

Kerryk

Thanks again Fred for the good advice, I'll get the tank back as soon as I can. Thanks Kerry

harvey b

Hello Kerry, this tank is very easy to repair your self,i have done lots of them.Have the old tank sandblasted first,then use fiberglass mat and a good quality resin wet the tank down with resin and lay the mat over the holes,put 3 or 4 layers on it,shouldnt build up to thick,if its on the top it will never be seen,remove the sending unit and tape of the fuel pickup tube,mask the sending unit hole so the resin wont disturb the seal when you put it back in.when the tank is sandblasted the fiberglass sticks to it like you know what to a blanket.I used a TIP sandblaster on my tanks that i did,if you dont have one Fred will gladly sell you one ;D,i am sure.let it dry for a couple of days and then use a good tank sealer and you will never have to worry about your tank again, HTH  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Fred Zwicker #23106

Kerry,

A word of caution - do NOT sandblast the tank in a closed cabinet, as there will still be fumes in the tank and sandblasting creates sparks, even though you may not be able to see them.  Using a grinder or sander on the metal also creates sparks.  I would use extreme caution when removing the rust and paint from this tank and would want to do any such cleanup outdoors in an open area, using a chemical process.  A good friend of mine recently wanted to use my cabinet for sandblasting a gas tank for a motorcycle and I turned him down for the same reason.  Even outdoors, sandblasting a gas tank can be very risky - I would not do it.

Harvey mentioned sending out the tank to be sandblasted - that would be less risky, as I assume that those doing this type of work have some knowledge of what they are faciing, but I am not so sure of this.  I just want to mention this danger so that others on this forum do not try to sandlbast a gas tank themselves. Sparks and gas tank fumes do not mix.

Instead I would try an aircraft grade paint stripper first and then later use gas tank etch or rust remover solvent (non-flammable) to clean up the outside surface of the tank (do this outdoors and wear a suitable respirator). You will also need gas tank etch and fuel tank sealer on the inside of the tank later. After getting the tank clean in that manner, Harvey's instructions are perfect for the major repair with fiberglass.

The outside of the tank should then be painted to whatever color is recommended for your car.  According to the information that I have, the gas tank on a 1939 LaSalle should be painted semi-gloss black and the 1" wide metal strips to hold the tank in place are also semi-gloss black. 1" wide black anti-squeak material is used between the straps and the tank.  I made mine out of black rubber stock about 1/8" thick. The electrical connection for the fuel gage sending unit is covered with a rubber protector which you can buy from Steele Rubber Products in NC.  There are many products available to do this job from many sources. - send me an email and I can go into more detail and/or will be glad to mail you more information, as don't want to violate CLC advertising rules.

Fred

baxterculver

Quote from: Kerry on April 14, 2008, 07:12:50 PM
Does anyone out there know where I can get a 1939 LaSalle gas tank? After pulling mine and sending it off to CA. to Renu a gas tank repair company, they have informed me that the top of the tank is too thin and they can't repair it.  So now I'm looking for a good used tank. Is there anyone making new tanks? Will a Cadillac series 61 fit? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Kerry

Kerry,
My Master Parts List has this info:
"Part # 3505517, Fuel Tank, less float unit, fits 39-50,61, 40-50 except 159"W.B, 40-52,62"

Oh, and the price for a new tank, in 1942, is $14.00.

does
baxter culver clc#17184

mario

gentlemen:
i've done a few tank repairs in the past and what i have done first is fill it with water, then empty it and then run a radiator hose from a running cars tailpipe to the gas tank filler tube. after the fumes fill it, the tank is oxygen free and you are able to weld, braze or solder it.
needless to say this was done outdoors in a well ventilated area.
ciao,
mario

Otto Skorzeny

Try this company, Auto City Classics. 800 828-2212

http://www.autocityclassic.com/scripts/default.asp

Even though they seem to specialize in Chevys, they handle new parts for lots of different makes.

If anyone is interested, a friend of mine just told me that they will be manufacturing brand new 1956 Cadillac gas tanks due in October of this year.
fward

Kerry Pilling

Thanks to all for the different inputs. I've tried to find a gas tank but no luck. Looks like I'll have to repair the old tank. I'm thinking of cutting the top open so I can access the rust as the tank has baffles and I couldn't get it all out. So if I cut it open, I can sand blast or use a rust dissolve and then fiberglass the top back on the tank. Does all of this sound viable? Kerry

Otto Skorzeny

You'll have to weld the top back on then use fiberglass if you so desire to seal it up. Once you have it open and cleaned out, use one of the sealing compounds like those sold by Eastwood to line it. Read the instructions - You may have to weld the top back then use one of the sealers sloshing around inside. In any event, follow the previous advice about making sure there are no gasoline fumes present when cutting or welding.

Pay close attention to threads, etc. so as not to clog them up with sealer or change the relative position of the sending unit do to thickness issues where it screws in, etc.
fward