News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 15, 2008, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your opinion on a 1976 Eldorado Convertible

It's a keeper!
15 (57.7%)
Sell it for an older model
2 (7.7%)
Eats too much fuel
0 (0%)
Too many out there, not rare enough
3 (11.5%)
Low Maintainance
1 (3.8%)
High Maintainance
2 (7.7%)
Easy to restore & work on
0 (0%)
It's a real collectable
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Hi Group,

I just bought a 1976 Eldorado Convertible and I am waiting for it's delivery. I wanted to know, through the groups expert advise, the pros & cons of owing this car. Is it a keeper?
I am 75% done with my 1961 Cadillac series 62 convertible and I want a car to compliment it.

Thanks
Jack

Bill Podany #19567

Jack,

Why would you buy a car that you want to compliment another that you own and question the validity of keeping the car?  The 76 Eldorado Convertible is a beautiful car, and the last of the great convertibles.  It is the essence of what a great Cadillac should be; I am envious.  I would buy one today if I could find a 100 point car to purchase.  Enjoy, and forget the checkoff list.  Congratulations.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Rich S

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the car is definitely worth keeping.

The pros of this car are that it represents the last icon of an era in American automobiles--a full-sized, glamorous and luxurious Convertible that is loaded with innovative details and sophisticated engineering features--and a Cadillac, no less. It is incredibly easy to drive, and still widely recognized by any car enthusiast. With front-wheel drive, 500 Cubic-Inch V-8 engine (8.2 Litres), variable ratio power steering, automatic level control, four wheel disc brakes and in some models, fuel injection, and all the power features one could sanely require! The "cool" features include the fiber optic lamp monitoring system, the inward folding frame roof, the all flat interior floor (lack of driveshaft hump), the door opener for the rear seat passengers on the rear of the passenger door armrest, the individual front armrests (if it has 50/50 seats), the fiberglass hard boot for the folded top, the pull-straps on the front seatbacks, the automatic seatback releases (when either door is opened) and add to this list the typical Cadillac "goodies," (i.e. Guide Matic & Twilight Sentinel, Firemist Paint, Power pulldown for the trunk, etc.) and you have quite a car! So far, there appear to be an adequate supply of many of the parts needed to restore these cars. It is practical as a parade vehicle, or for transporting up to five other adults, if you desire.

The cons are that it is prone to rust (like all Cadillacs of that era), the rather poor build-quality of trim pieces (like all Cadillacs of that era), the body-colored filler pieces (dry out and crack, difficult to replace) and the lack of economy of operation (however, most collector cars are not driven too many miles annually).

It is usually recommended to obtain the best example you can afford of these cars, because the restoration of the components is rather costly. To me, all of the 1971 through 1976 Eldorado Convertibles make desireable collector cars. I have chosen to restore a 1971 example, out of personal preference for that model year, but I find all of the 1971 to 1976 Eldorado Convertibles worthy of collecting. 
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I agree with the previous posts -- it's a keeper for sure.

I am the original owner of a 1973 Eldorado (coupe) in Dynasty Red with black
vinyl top & red leather interior.  The car has just 48K miles on it an it is all original
and still looks good enough to easily place in Primary Class.  I have never shown it
at a National Meet.

I special ordered it from the factory and have babied it ever since.  I was going to order
a convertible but my Dad said "Are you nuts -- in Pittsburgh that means top down about
2 months a year!".  So I went with Dad's advice and still have a pristine coupe.

These cars are "keepers" -- with the 500 CI engine, rear air suspension and leather
interior they are a dream to drive.  They have all the power you could ever want and
cruise at any legal speed without effort.  We will never see their like again with gas
approaching $4 per gallon.

One of my "fantasies" is to find a mint '73 convertible (same color combo) to
join her.  It would have to be a "mint" car -- since she is as well.

Just my two cents.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on April 16, 2008, 04:11:08 PM
Jack,

Why would you buy a car that you want to compliment another that you own and question the validity of keeping the car?  The 76 Eldorado Convertible is a beautiful car, and the last of the great convertibles.  It is the essence of what a great Cadillac should be; I am envious.  I would buy one today if I could find a 100 point car to purchase.  Enjoy, and forget the checkoff list.  Congratulations.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN

Bill,

I am asking as I am not a 70's type of car collector. I have always had Cadillacs from the 50's or early 60's as I am a fin lover. I find that nothing rides like my 61 Cadillac Convertible.
I bought this car for a relatively good price and it needs some work, which I will do myself.
I always buy (vintage) cars as an investment with the added pleasure of using it.
I do not like buying a car that will cost me more than the car is worth after I am done. I also never drove this car so I wanted to know the feelings of owners or past owners on their thoughts on this car.
My dad has a 1976 in his garage that he ordered new from Cadillac that has 24k miles on the odometer and it has been sitting there for 15 years. He likes to look at it. It is his and I tell him to do as he wishes. I tried to buy it first. I drove it 30 years ago and I do not remember it.
I have owned on an off a 59, 60, 61 or a 62 Cadillac for the past 25 years. I prefer the 1961.
Since 1965 I have always had in my possession a Jaguar E-type convertible and I have a 1967 now.
It is like going to a new city and not knowing what streets to walk on safely. I want to know from the members about the 1976................How many gallons to a mile with this car   ;)

Jack Miller
(Here is what I have now and the 76 is a little different than what I am used to)

1931 Ford Model A
1953 Jaguar XK120 Drophead Coupe (convertible)
1963 Jaguar MKII
1967 Jaguar XKE convertible
1961 Cadillac convertible series 62
1967 Pontiac GTO convertible
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera convertible
1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible

76eldo

Jack,

I have driven Cadillac convertibles since I was 19 years old, and that's 31 years ago.  At that time, in 1977, I bought a used 70 DeVille convertible that needed a paint job.  It was a great car, but when I had a little more money, in 1979, I bought a 1976 Eldorado convertible as a used car, from a Lincoln Mercury dealer.  The car was Black, with a red leather interior, and a white top.  I had that car for about 2 years as my daily driver, and sold it, along with a 56 T-Bird and used the money to put down on my first house.

I have had a succession of Packards, and Cadillacs since then, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for another black 76 convertible.

I was browsing on ebay a few years ago, and found another black and red 1976 Eldorado convertible.  I was not in the market for another car just then, but I watched the car and the auction ended with the car not selling.  I contacted the owner, and after talking about the car for a few minutes, I made an appointment to see the car the next day.  It was about 2 hours away, and I went to see it with a friend and a pocket full of cash.  When I saw and drove the car, I paid the asking price, since the owner told me what he wanted before I came up to see it. I bought it on the spot, and drove it home without incident.  I have not had to do a thing to the car since I bought it.

It came with an amazing collection of paperwork, all service records since new, build sheet, window sticker, original bill of sale, newspaper clippings from the fall of 1975, the original salesman's order sheet, every license plate, owner's card, and inspection sticker that ever was on the car, the 1976 Cadillac 8-track tape, a shop manual, body manual, owner's manual, custom car cover, and a box of NOS spare parts, emblems, and some trim.  Absolutely amazing.

The car was so well maintained, it still drives like a new car, ever with 96,000 miles on it.

I bought back my dream car, the car I dated my wife in, one of my favorite cars of all time, and for less than $10,000!

Right now, and actually for the past few years, I have felt that these cars are very undervalued, for all of the reasons mentioned in one of the other posts.

Is it a keeper, absolutely.  I have looked at others over the years, none as nice as this one, and I have never purchased an old car with so much documentation.

If you bought a good car, you made a wise buy.

Please consider joining the message board that I started when I bought my car.  It's a Yahoo group called "Big Eldorados", for owners of 1971 through 78 Eldorados.

Here is a link:  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/big_eldorado/

Good luck with your car,

brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: 76eldo on April 16, 2008, 11:40:39 PM
Jack,

I have driven Cadillac convertibles since I was 19 years old, and that's 31 years ago.  At that time, in 1977, I bought a used 70 DeVille convertible that needed a paint job.  It was a great car, but when I had a little more money, in 1979, I bought a 1976 Eldorado convertible as a used car, from a Lincoln Mercury dealer.  The car was Black, with a red leather interior, and a white top.  I had that car for about 2 years as my daily driver, and sold it, along with a 56 T-Bird and used the money to put down on my first house.

I have had a succession of Packards, and Cadillacs since then, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for another black 76 convertible.

I was browsing on ebay a few years ago, and found another black and red 1976 Eldorado convertible.  I was not in the market for another car just then, but I watched the car and the auction ended with the car not selling.  I contacted the owner, and after talking about the car for a few minutes, I made an appointment to see the car the next day.  It was about 2 hours away, and I went to see it with a friend and a pocket full of cash.  When I saw and drove the car, I paid the asking price, since the owner told me what he wanted before I came up to see it. I bought it on the spot, and drove it home without incident.  I have not had to do a thing to the car since I bought it.

It came with an amazing collection of paperwork, all service records since new, build sheet, window sticker, original bill of sale, newspaper clippings from the fall of 1975, the original salesman's order sheet, every license plate, owner's card, and inspection sticker that ever was on the car, the 1976 Cadillac 8-track tape, a shop manual, body manual, owner's manual, custom car cover, and a box of NOS spare parts, emblems, and some trim.  Absolutely amazing.

The car was so well maintained, it still drives like a new car, ever with 96,000 miles on it.

I bought back my dream car, the car I dated my wife in, one of my favorite cars of all time, and for less than $10,000!

Right now, and actually for the past few years, I have felt that these cars are very undervalued, for all of the reasons mentioned in one of the other posts.

Is it a keeper, absolutely.  I have looked at others over the years, none as nice as this one, and I have never purchased an old car with so much documentation.

If you bought a good car, you made a wise buy.

Please consider joining the message board that I started when I bought my car.  It's a Yahoo group called "Big Eldorados", for owners of 1971 through 78 Eldorados.

Here is a link:  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/big_eldorado/

Good luck with your car,

brian

Brian,

You said "If you bought a good car, you made a wise buy." I will know as soon as it gets here.
It has 94,000 on it and it looks pretty good (needs some work, all original and i do all the work myself) and the seller seemed like an honest guy. It was an Ebay thing so I am hoping.
As I used to ask my dad about his 76 Eldo Convertible "How many gallons to the mile does it get?" and my dad would look and say "Funny, not too good".
I have a 1976 Cadillac shop manual here and I have been studying it so when the car arrives I can look at it like an ole friend and not a stranger.
I just don't want to pour money into something that because of the 500ci it will never come up in price.
I am totally rebuilding my 1961 convertible and ther was nothing that hasn't been redone by me. I know how good the work is.
Thanks
Jack

PS:  I had my First Cadillac a Sedan de Ville a 1965 in 1969 and my second a 1966 Coupe de Ville in 1970. The neighborhood called me "CadillacJack"

Bill Podany #19567

Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441 on April 16, 2008, 11:34:03 PM
Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on April 16, 2008, 04:11:08 PM
Jack,
Jack,

I well understand and no explanation to me was necessary, however, your courteousness is graciously appreciated.  And you have a wonderful collection of diverse vintage cars.  I hope we can meet at a Cadillac Grand National, or perhaps a CCCA Grand Classic.  Enjoy that beautiful 76 Eldo.

Bill Podany

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN

Bill,

I am asking as I am not a 70's type of car collector. I have always had Cadillacs from the 50's or early 60's as I am a fin lover. I find that nothing rides like my 61 Cadillac Convertible.
I bought this car for a relatively good price and it needs some work, which I will do myself.
I always buy (vintage) cars as an investment with the added pleasure of using it.
I do not like buying a car that will cost me more than the car is worth after I am done. I also never drove this car so I wanted to know the feelings of owners or past owners on their thoughts on this car.
My dad has a 1976 in his garage that he ordered new from Cadillac that has 24k miles on the odometer and it has been sitting there for 15 years. He likes to look at it. It is his and I tell him to do as he wishes. I tried to buy it first. I drove it 30 years ago and I do not remember it.
I have owned on an off a 59, 60, 61 or a 62 Cadillac for the past 25 years. I prefer the 1961.
Since 1965 I have always had in my possession a Jaguar E-type convertible and I have a 1967 now.
It is like going to a new city and not knowing what streets to walk on safely. I want to know from the members about the 1976................How many gallons to a mile with this car   ;)

Jack Miller
(Here is what I have now and the 76 is a little different than what I am used to)

1931 Ford Model A
1953 Jaguar XK120 Drophead Coupe (convertible)
1963 Jaguar MKII
1967 Jaguar XKE convertible
1961 Cadillac convertible series 62
1967 Pontiac GTO convertible
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera convertible
1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

76eldo

My Cadillacs use a lot of gas.

I think we will all be tested if the price of gas goes over $4.00 per gallon this summer.

I rate mine by "Smiles per gallon 8)"

Good luck with the car, if you have any questions when you get it, I would be glad to help.

Brian

PS...Another cool website to check out is http://www.bicentennialeldorado.com

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Chris Short CLC 18814

The 76 Eldo Convert. is a keeper no matter how you look at in my mind..  :)

Chris Short

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Chris Short CLC 18814 on April 19, 2008, 03:43:50 AM
The 76 Eldo Convert. is a keeper no matter how you look at in my mind..  :)

Chris Short

How expensive is it to use as a daily driver? Do you have a clue to the gas miles?

Thanks
Jack

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Chris Short CLC 18815

I use my 76 Eldo quite alot.  For the easy erands.  Like going to the bank, or the post office, or like yesterday I got my hair cut so I took the 76 eldo.  :)   Its one of my more modern cars in the shed and its just so pleasurable and easy to drive I can't hardly not resist to use it.  I think I got 16mpg  on a trip once..  But normaly I think I'm getting about 12 around home here.  It likes gas but thats one thing I knew a long time ago..  I know that gas is expensive but I'm not going to let that get in the way of my fun..  :)   It would have to go over 6 bucks a gallon for me to consider slowing usage of my cars.

Chris Short

76eldo

Jack,

Is your car back on ebay?  Did you decide you didn't want it?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: 76eldo on April 23, 2008, 04:05:41 PM
Jack,

Is your car back on ebay?  Did you decide you didn't want it?

Brian

Brian,

The car is here and I am allowing the seller to relist it and resell it from here. He is refunding my money as he promised me no frame or body rot just surface rust. Very Honest seller.
The frame is badly rotted on both sides where the rear arms the hold the rear axle and connect to the frame.
The frame is totally rotted through from the back of the doors, to the back and halfway up the frame around the rear wheel. It is on the frame bottom and sides. I have big chunks of metal flakes falling out all over my yard.
The body all over is rotted out too. A lot more than surface rust. The door edges are rotted through and the hood has a spot of rot through. Where the passenger door meets the quarter (lower) there is a hole the size of a dollar bill. All of the spots in the pix above the wheels are rot through. Under the carpet in the trunk is bad too.
I have a 67 GTO that I am in search of a new frame but that car will bring me back the money, not this Eldo.
I feel the rear going from side to side when you move the car that you can actually feel the weak frame.
Too much for me right now.
My 61 Cadillac is almost rebuilt and my next projects are to repair the brakes on my 53 Jaguar XK, and replace the brake lines on my 88 Porsche 911 Cab. Then the GTO.
This Caddy will never bring me back the cost of repair. I am better off looking for another in better shape. This rot will only spread, I have dealt with the likes of it in the past.

Jack

76eldo

I would be complimentary too, until I got the money back.  I looked at the new photos on the new ebay listing.  At best, it's a $500.00 parts car.  How did they not know that the car was that bad?  That's basically complete fraud.

I hope you find another one.  There are lots of good ones out there.  I use ebay as a source, but I always go and look and drive before I buy.

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jack,

I know how you felt when you saw the car.   Good to hear that you won't lose out, but hopefully, it won't be in your driveway for too long.

I had the same feeling when I got a '64 Chev out of a Container when it landed here in Hobart.   Boy, was I shocked, and a friend looked at it before he put it into the container in MO.

But, when I was looking for my latest car, the one that I purchased, I looked at 5 cars, well, I had fellow CLC members in USA look at them for me, and sent me pictures of them by simply poking the camera under the cars, and taking pictures, and boy, were there some shockers.   One looked really good from the outside, but underneath was a totally different story.

Actually, I purchased the one with the '71 with the rusty frame, as it had a good interior that will go into the good '72 I purchased.   That had a bad interior.   All the other '71 parts that are any good will come back home as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Jack,

I just saw the pictures that were posted of "your" car, and boy, they are BAD.

Funny how some people treat rustification totally different to others.

That car would cost a fortune to fix, and is definitely looking like a parts car.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

homeonprunehill

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 24, 2008, 12:44:37 AM
G'day Jack,

I know how you felt when you saw the car.   Good to hear that you won't lose out, but hopefully, it won't be in your driveway for too long.

I had the same feeling when I got a '64 Chev out of a Container when it landed here in Hobart.   Boy, was I shocked, and a friend looked at it before he put it into the container in MO.

But, when I was looking for my latest car, the one that I purchased, I looked at 5 cars, well, I had fellow CLC members in USA look at them for me, and sent me pictures of them by simply poking the camera under the cars, and taking pictures, and boy, were there some shockers.   One looked really good from the outside, but underneath was a totally different story.

Actually, I purchased the one with the '71 with the rusty frame, as it had a good interior that will go into the good '72 I purchased.   That had a bad interior.   All the other '71 parts that are any good will come back home as well.

04-23-08
Bruce, dids the drain hose in the bottom picture cause all that rust? Good Luck,JIM.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

My two favorite Cadillac Convertibles are the 1972 Eldorado and the 1976 Eldorado. I have owned both and although I like the sleeker body of the 1972, I chose to buy a 1976: "The Last Of The Breed". As someone mentioned, they ARE prone to rust and mine was full of it. The floorboards, quarters, lower hood and trunk lip etc. I paid $1,200.00 for it and after $25,000.00 invested in a total restoration, I had to sell the car due to the loss of my job. I got $10,000.00 dollars for it. I know you will all say you do not restore cars for profit but this was one of the most troublesome restorations I have done. Parts are VERY expensive for this car and probably all Cadillacs also. Someone on Barrett Jackson stated that certain Cadillacs are better off buying restored because they are very expensive to restore yourself, especially the 50's cars with all the chrome on them. I do agree the car did get many compliments and I won a few trophies at car shows but it was a long expensive journey to get it to that level. My car was Phonecian Ivory with a white top and Ivory interior and loaded with every concievable option except fuel injection. I wish anyone who wants to restore this car GOOD LUCK and search eBay and all resources for parts and you may save some money.