News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Nitpicky ferrule question

Started by jbento, April 17, 2008, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbento

Howdy!

I have refinished the wooden interior window trim/mouldings of my 1940 Series 72.  They are made of walnut I believe (though I could be mistaken on this).  I noticed that the holes for the screws in this trim has what look like stainless steel ferrules in them.

Does anyone know the size of these ferrules and where I can get them?  I am missing about 1/2 dozen or so.

As always, many thanks!
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

harvey b

Hello Joe, give Hampton Coach a call,i think i seen those type of "washers" listed in their catalog,they will send you a free catalog and samples for your year of car,free for the asking.i know they have a lot of hard to find fasteners and knic knacks like that they are listed on the web too.Another question about your running boards,have you heard from him yet,i too called him twice and all i got was his voicemail,left a message and havent heard a peep from him?,thats a great way to run a business ???.i know i wont be sending mine to him.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Joe: My body parts book shows for the front door of a 40-72 it used a No 8 x 5/8 sheet metal screw and for the rear doors it used a No 8 x 3/4 sheet metal screw. I am showing a washer, garnish molding used on a 40-75 & 90 but it does not show used on a 72. I have found mistakes in the book before so for those washers I would call Restoration Specialties & Supply at 814-457-9842. I think the washers and screw come as one piece. Bill

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Jeff Hansen

Joe,

If this is like my '42 series 75, and I think they would be very similar, Restoration Specialties has what you need.  The screws have a smaller head than you would expect and are called, "Jackson Head," screws.  See page 175 of their online catalog.

I have heard those countersunk washers called, "finishing washers," too.  See page 199 of the catalog.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

jbento

Quote from: harvey b on April 17, 2008, 11:38:56 AM
Another question about your running boards,have you heard from him yet,i too called him twice and all i got was his voicemail,left a message and havent heard a peep from him?,thats a great way to run a business ???.i know i wont be sending mine to him.HTH Harvey B

Thanks!  I need to order interior materials from hamptons anyway, so I will check there first.

In regards to the other issue, I am in the process of engageing an attorney in Canada now.  What a pain in the butt!  Last time I called, his VM is full and not accepting more messages.
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72