News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help With Replacement of Turn Signal & Selector Arms on 1961 Cadillac

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 18, 2008, 09:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Does someone here know how to remove the turn signal and selector arms on a 1961 Cadillac?
Mine are rusty and I found a clean wheel and arms to match. I don't want to break any parts that are in the column.
I want to remove the old ones and replace them. One of the pieces of plastic on the selector arm has a hairline crack, has anyone here ever tried to run crazy glue in a hairline?

Thanks
Jack

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: South_paw on April 18, 2008, 09:38:25 PM
Jack,
The signal arm unscrews from the column shaft. The gear selector arm has a chrome cap at the base of the column, pry that cap up and you will see that the arm has a pin that hold the arm in place. Go ahead and knock that pin out to remove the arm.

HTH,
Lou

Lou,

It is so tight I am afraid of cracking the housing of the turn arm. If I shoot PB in there will it interfere with the electronics of the blinker?

Thanks
Jack

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I was able to get the selector arm out of my 1961 Cadillac but the new one doesn't want to go back in with the "spring" & "Locking" action that it had. I tried putting back the original with the same results.
Is there a special way to reinstall it?
A rectangle clip with a hole in the center fell out, any idea how or where that goes back in?

Thanks
Jack