All Cads

Author Topic: 1988 Cadillac Seville  (Read 2103 times)

Offline J E BIBB

1988 Cadillac Seville
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:27:39 AM »
Our family has a 1988 Cadillac Seville with "CS" (Classic Seville) on the grill.  The car features a quarter vinyl top with the quarter glasses eliminated.  The car also features gold trim.  Is CS a factory option or a factory authorized aftermarket option or is it just aftermarket?  Also, is the gold trim feature a factory authorized option or is it aftermarket as well?  J E Bibb, spbibb@bellsouth.net

Offline CraigC

Re: 1988 Cadillac Seville
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »
With the exception of the gold tone ornamentation, everything else is dealer-installed aftermarket.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »
The gold trim may have been dealer-done, too; they take the badges off, have them gold-toned (or do them at the dealership), reinstall them and then charge the customer two or three hundred dollars. This is a profit gold mine (pun intended) for dealerships on the order of "lifetime" wax, fabric protector, and VIN etching.

Offline J E BIBB

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
With the exception of the gold tone ornamentation, everything else is dealer-installed aftermarket.

Offline J E BIBB

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »
Thanks to both of you for replying.  If I ever decide to show the car, I will have to replace the grill and other "gold" package items.  Neither of you mentioned the vinyl top specifically.  Do you have an idea if it was authorized?

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:41:22 PM »
I'm sure the 1/4 vinyl top with the blanked-out rear quarters was neither factory-installed nor authorized.  The first-generation 1975-1979 were available with full vinyl roofs (and only that way the first year) and vinyl and cloth "carriage" roofs were available about mid-way through the bustle-back second-generation Sevilles. I don't remember any 1986-1991 third-generation Sevilles with a factory vinyl or cloth top, but if there were any, they definitely wouldn't have had the covered quarter window. From what I have read, Cadillac (and Lincoln) really discourage their dealers from adding those so-called glamour packages, but that is a losing battle because they are a very big profit area for them. I saw a first-generation CTS with a cloth top the other day and I definitely wasn't persuaded to add one to mine ;my reaction was what were they thinking? Cadillac MCD frequently got on the bandwagon with "spring editions", usually Devilles, with faux convertible tops, chrome wheels, gold trim, and occasionally special colors. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:01:24 PM by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 »

Offline J E BIBB

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
Thank you for the additional information.  It was very helpful.  I won't be able to go to the grand national this year, but maybe I'll see you at the next one. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13