News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1988 Cadillac Seville

Started by J E BIBB, April 19, 2008, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J E BIBB

Our family has a 1988 Cadillac Seville with "CS" (Classic Seville) on the grill.  The car features a quarter vinyl top with the quarter glasses eliminated.  The car also features gold trim.  Is CS a factory option or a factory authorized aftermarket option or is it just aftermarket?  Also, is the gold trim feature a factory authorized option or is it aftermarket as well?  J E Bibb, spbibb@bellsouth.net

CraigC

With the exception of the gold tone ornamentation, everything else is dealer-installed aftermarket.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The gold trim may have been dealer-done, too; they take the badges off, have them gold-toned (or do them at the dealership), reinstall them and then charge the customer two or three hundred dollars. This is a profit gold mine (pun intended) for dealerships on the order of "lifetime" wax, fabric protector, and VIN etching.

J E BIBB

Quote from: CraigC on April 20, 2008, 02:40:19 PM
With the exception of the gold tone ornamentation, everything else is dealer-installed aftermarket.

J E BIBB

Thanks to both of you for replying.  If I ever decide to show the car, I will have to replace the grill and other "gold" package items.  Neither of you mentioned the vinyl top specifically.  Do you have an idea if it was authorized?

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I'm sure the 1/4 vinyl top with the blanked-out rear quarters was neither factory-installed nor authorized.  The first-generation 1975-1979 were available with full vinyl roofs (and only that way the first year) and vinyl and cloth "carriage" roofs were available about mid-way through the bustle-back second-generation Sevilles. I don't remember any 1986-1991 third-generation Sevilles with a factory vinyl or cloth top, but if there were any, they definitely wouldn't have had the covered quarter window. From what I have read, Cadillac (and Lincoln) really discourage their dealers from adding those so-called glamour packages, but that is a losing battle because they are a very big profit area for them. I saw a first-generation CTS with a cloth top the other day and I definitely wasn't persuaded to add one to mine ;my reaction was what were they thinking? Cadillac MCD frequently got on the bandwagon with "spring editions", usually Devilles, with faux convertible tops, chrome wheels, gold trim, and occasionally special colors. 

J E BIBB

Thank you for the additional information.  It was very helpful.  I won't be able to go to the grand national this year, but maybe I'll see you at the next one.