News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flash chroming SS moldings

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, April 21, 2008, 12:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

First, do any of you agree with me that most SS moldings had a flash of chrome applied when new?  No copper or nickel, just chrome. As soon as the buffing wheel hits an original molding , the color changes & it looks different! So.... why do these chrome shops look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them to flash chrome the parts they've just polished for me??? Is it another example of what the factory does & these guys just can't duplicate? Please enlighten me!   Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

The problem I see is that Stainless Steel isn't Chrome-platable, but then, I could be wrong as normal.

It is the Nickel Plate coating that gives the finished article its' colour, and the Chrome Plating is the finish.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bob,

GM was noted for Flash Chroming the Stainless Trim. I've been lucky and just had folks carefully polish the chrome, just enough to polish, not take the chrome off.

If you polich through the chrome you can tell the difference.

I have not checked to see if you can still get this done since I figured without the copper/nickel plating this would be easy.

I await comment. Oh, and Bruce, no disrespect, it is possible, althought not likely, that in this instance you could be dead wrong. Civily yours.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on April 21, 2008, 01:51:12 AM
I await comment. Oh, and Bruce, no disrespect, it is possible, althought not likely, that in this instance you could be dead wrong. Civily yours.   
G'day john,

It is nice being more wrong than dead.

Being dead is so permanent, and hard to correct.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Yes Bob, you are right. Stanless steel is "yellow" when just polished without any treatment; with the flash chrome, it's "blue" like any part which is chromed. This difference of color is evident if you have, like my '56 Sedan de Ville, a NOS front fender molding (chromed steel) and a front door molding (polished ss steel).
In Swizerland too, people look at me like I would come from the moon when I ask for a flash chrome. Some platers try it, some don't want to hear about that.
I'm also interested to know how this process was done at the factory.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Wayne Womble 12210

It may be that you are asking for the wrong process.  In looking through my Electroplating Engineering Handbook, there is no mention of plating SS, but there is a process of electro polishing, called Bright Dipping.

To Smooth and prevent pitting on SS the solution consists of :

29.5% HCL  sp. gr. 1.16
40.0% H2SO4  sp. gr. 1.84
0.5%   HNO3   sp. gr. 1.43
5.5%   TICL4
24.5%  H2O

Dip at 165 Degrees for 2-5 min.

Another solution for Austentistic SS is:

2.5% Nitric Acid.  sp. gr. 1.42
7.5% hydrocloric acid  sp. gr. 1.16
1.0% Rodine 45
Add 10 l. of toner No.1 per 100 gal of bath.

dip 3 min @ 205 deg.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Wayne,

The reference for flash chrome:
Flash Chrome Plating
Flash Chrome Plating is a thin (.001" to .0007") deposit of chromium. Despite its thinness, it still provides an excellent barrier to corrosion while maintaining most of the beneficial properties of conventional Hard Chrome Plating.

Seems that industrial folks plate hard chrome and Flash Chrome. Sounds like it is plated to me, but have not found any more details.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Wayne Womble 12210

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on April 21, 2008, 04:57:36 PM
Wayne,

The reference for flash chrome:
Flash Chrome Plating
Flash Chrome Plating is a thin (.001" to .0007") deposit of chromium. Despite its thinness, it still provides an excellent barrier to corrosion while maintaining most of the beneficial properties of conventional Hard Chrome Plating.

Seems that industrial folks plate hard chrome and Flash Chrome. Sounds like it is plated to me, but have not found any more details.

I can find no reference to " flash plating " of stainless in the text book.  However, I did finally find a reference to chrome plating SS.  It says, " The immersion-activating treatment cycle III-1, 5a(2), followed by rinsing, has been used with success for chromium plating on stainless steel automobile parts".  Maybe this is the process that they are talking about when they use the term  " flash chrome".  I am very familiar with these stainless trim pieces. They are very common on the Corvettes that I work on, and I have buffed through my share.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

THANKS to all who responded. I've taken a test molding to a local electropolishing shop. I have no idea if it's the process I need. I will post as soon as I see the results. Bob

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on April 22, 2008, 11:22:33 AM
THANKS to all who responded. I've taken a test molding to a local electropolishing shop. I have no idea if it's the process I need. I will post as soon as I see the results. Bob

04-23-08
Bob, I knoew that I'am a little late in responding, but, when I had the chrome replated on my '38 LaSalle the man at the Plating shop told me that it was a waste of money to have the SS "chromed". He took the SS and polished it to a brillent shine. But, it cost about as much to polish it as if he had "chromed"it. Good Luck, Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I got my sample part back yesterday after being electropolished. While nice & shiney, it was NOT even close to the factory look. He felt it was not originally flash chromed, but electropolished. I agree. But what was the process??? I made a call to try & contact a retired GM executive but have not heard back. In response to Jim, my moldings are already polished, but I'd like them to look factory as opposed to just polished SS. I'm not even sure that flash chroming the moldings will give the desired look. Still searching. Bob

Wayne Womble 12210

Bob,  The Corvette guy discuss this subject from time to time.  Maybe you can get some information from one of them.  This is a  recent thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=2006155

Jeff Maltby 4194

Bob. What car are we speaking about here ?

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeff, any car that has chromed SS parts on it. The car I'm working on is a 41 Cad. Bob

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Thanks to Wayne & Southpaw. I've joined both of the forums you sent me. They are both great & I'm waiting for responses. I will post info when I receive it. Regards, Bob

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

OK guys, here are the results. Just picked up the windshield & back glass moldings today. These were SS moldings that had been polished by some other shop & looked yellow.  Now they have the blue chrome factory look that I wanted.  FANTASTIC! The shop that did the work is called Sherm's Custom Plating in Sacramento Ca. 916 646-0160.  Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

So, what actual process did the Shop use to give you what you wanted?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Bruce, the work order said chrome only, so I assume that's what they did. To recap, my moldings had been polished because they had been straightened & worked. I think if you had a virgen SS molding as the factory started with, you could just plate it. I had an original molding & compared it to the replated ones. It wasa perfect match. So...... I firmly believe that moldings that have been polished need to be chromed to restore the factory look.  I was at my upholstery shop today. They had a restored 57 Chevy with polished W/shield moldings on it. I put one of my rechromed moldings next to it. Well....... you know the answer. HTH, Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Eldorado_64

I know it's a bit newer, but is or was this process still being uded into the mid 60s? I have done several '64s and never really noticed. I never machine polished but hand rubbed so maybe I never got far enough to remve anything. I did several wheel covers to bring out the high shine of the car surrounds and other polished areas and the really come to a beautifull shine. I know the refinishing polish I used (equal to marine boat polish) is working to take off oxiidised discolor cause I can se the black in cloth as I work.

I did my wheel well moldings and lower rocker pannel trims as well as windows too and they still look as nice but a tad glossier and more briliant then when left in sun for many years.

Brandon J.
1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Biarritz & Sixty-Special
Cadillac, "The Only Way"