News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removal of door panel in a 47 Conv.

Started by Robert CLC #20619, April 21, 2008, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert CLC #20619

In working with the hydraulic system and getting the top and windows to work I have experienced a problem with the passenger side window. The hydraulic motor works but will not push the window up. I can pull the window up and without supporting it it will crash down. It feels like it is not on the track if that is the the correct case. The only way I can fix it is to remove the door panel. To do so I must pull the panel away from the frame. It appears that there are some sort of tack/nails holding it in place but is this correct? Also how do you remove the panel from the metal panel at the windows?
I am try to sort out the problems with this car which aren't to many. The brakes need some adjustment and other than the window I will be done. I had the car on the lift today going over the underneath of the car. Very solid and clean. Not a lot of wetness from the motor or trans. When I let the car back down I noticed that the rear end was way up in the air like someone had jacked up. If I remember back when this was I believe normal and eventually the springs settle back down. I certainly hope so!!

Thanks
Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Robert on April 21, 2008, 03:06:54 PM
In working with the hydraulic system and getting the top and windows to work I have experienced a problem with the passenger side window. The hydraulic motor works but will not push the window up. I can pull the window up and without supporting it it will crash down. It feels like it is not on the track if that is the the correct case. The only way I can fix it is to remove the door panel. To do so I must pull the panel away from the frame. It appears that there are some sort of tack/nails holding it in place but is this correct? Also how do you remove the panel from the metal panel at the windows?
I am try to sort out the problems with this car which aren't to many. The brakes need some adjustment and other than the window I will be done. I had the car on the lift today going over the underneath of the car. Very solid and clean. Not a lot of wetness from the motor or trans. When I let the car back down I noticed that the rear end was way up in the air like someone had jacked up. If I remember back when this was I believe normal and eventually the springs settle back down. I certainly hope so!!

Thanks
Robert

04-21-08
ROBERT,If you have an extra commond "screw-driver" with a blade about 3/8" to 1/2" wide, take it and clamp it into your vise  and useing your hack-saw, cut about 3/8"to 1/2" long while you have the SD clamped in your vise, in the direction that the "shank" in going. Use this tool to remove the door panel. there may be other fastenerthat hold the arm-rest and other items on. You are correct., thoses are "nails"holding the panel on,they were driven into "slots cut around the outter edge of the door, and you will have to use a "rubber"Hammer to re-install the door panel. As for the window, I thank the panel is the only thing you have to remove.As for the window, it does sound as if it's off the track,you will see the correct way to put it back. As for the "rear" springs, I'll bet the rear wheels were NOT supported, but, they were allowed to swing free. What you will have to do is put the car back on the "lift" and lift it high-enought that one man can,useing a"crow-bar" to put the "Spring-hangers" back to the rear. 
You will see the word "search"on the heading of each catigore of message, "SEARCH"for that subject, it has been written-up several times. Don't think of your-self as a "VIRGIN it didn't happen to you first. Good Luck,Jim 
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Robert CLC #20619

Thanks for the info. I removed the door panel with ease. The window track at the bottom had come loose and fallen off. That to was an easy fix. The hardest part was lining up the holes for the arm rest. Go figure.

The spring shackles are one of those Dhu! I see it now!

Thanks

Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv