News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Hood Release Snapped

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 21, 2008, 09:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I just received the 76 Eldorado in the dark, so I really couldn't do a good once over. I will need some bubble body repair but no problem.
My question is: I tried to open the hood and the hood release handle is gone. I tried to pull in the steel bar that the handle connected to, but I couldn't get anywhere. Is there a way to open this hood in it's  present state, so I can check out the motor tomorrow?

Thanks
Jack

TJ Hopland

On a 73 there is only a little sheet metal flap that keeps you from easily getting to the latch through the grill with something like a tire iron.  Not sure if the 76 is the same.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lars Kneller 8246

Sometimes the spring that pops the hood up gets weak.  What I'd do is pull the metal part out with some pliers or vice grips, and then lock the vice grips so the metal part stays out, and see if the hood opens that way. 

76eldo

Jack,

That's a real problem.  If the T-handle broke off, you could try grabbing the shaft with some vice grips.  Keeping the cable lubed will prevent that, but if you can't pop the latch, you will have to try to go in through the grille, but it may be difficult.

Call your local Cadillac dealer, and see if they have anyone there that could tell you a trick for this.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)