News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

GM not using 'GM' in advertising?

Started by Bill Gauch #23121, May 16, 2008, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch #23121

I heard two radio commercials the other day. One was for a Hummer the other was for a Chevy. Both ads talked about how great owning the vehicle was. Normally, at the end I would have heard, "See you authorized Chevy/GM (or Hummer/GM) dealer." Instead, I heard, "See your authorized Chevy/Goodwrench (or Hummer/Goodwrench) dealer." Does this suggest that GM is shifting away from what it perceives as a tarnished name (GM) in favor of the more obscure Goodwrench? Typically, I have only seen the Goodwrench name when referring to parts/service. Occasionally, I have heard reference to "your GM/Goodwrench dealer."

Maybe they are trying to bring back some "brand" loyalty? Personally, I would go the other way and eliminate the sub-brands in favor of one common "mother brand." Really, does anyone still have a loyalty to a specific make of car anymore? I guess I can answer that question by saying that my brother-in-law is a Honda man.  :-\
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

The Tassie Devil(le)

I always thought of reconditioned engines when I heard the name "Goodwrench"

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wayne Womble 12210

Wouldnt NO WRENCH be a better slogan.   ;D

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Honestly, Bill, I don't ever remember hearing "see your authorized Chevrolet/GM dealer" in a radio or television ad.
It was always "see your Chevrolet (or whatever division it was) dealer". Taking your GM car to a GM dealer for service was a big push a few years ago which wasn't tied to any one division and the tag line was "Keep your GM car all GM" (by using genuine GM parts). Pontiac and GMC are now in the same division and the corporation is trying to get all Pontiac/GMC and Buick dealers to carry all thee makes, so you'll likely be hearing "see your Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealer".  There's still a lot of "GM" in ads regarding warranty and OnStar and Saturn has been made a division instead of a separate GM-owned company (until then, there was no indication that Saturn was made by GM, you couldn't use money from your GM Card on them, they weren't included in GM rebate promotions, etc., so that was a major move towards GM branding) .  A couple of years ago, every GM vehicle (including Saturns and Hummers and, I think, SAAB) started coming off the line with small GM emblems on the front fenders which I think is another indication they're not trying to hide (and are actually highlighting) the fact that the vehicles are made by GM. One thing I think they should do (and should have done years ago) is to eliminate the warranties being administered by the individual divisions. If you're driving a Lincoln, a Ford-only dealer can do warranty work on it and a Dodge dealer can do warranty work on a Jeep, but if you're driving a Cadillac and have trouble in a town with only a Chevrolet dealer, your car will have to be towed to the nearest Cadillac dealer. GM's extended warranty is good at all GM dealers regardless of make, so there's no reason it couldn't be done with the new-car factory warranties.