News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

OIL RUNNING OVER

Started by homeonprunehill, April 23, 2008, 06:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeonprunehill

04-23-08
TO ALL;I have a '47 flat-head Cadillac engine and the "dip-stick" and the "motors-manual both says 7 quarts to fillk the crank-case, but, with 7 qts, it will leak out of the "road-draft" tube, and the outside of the "crank-case was wet. I drained about a quart from the crank-case,and i still had a large quanity in the drip pan. Whats going on!!!!?? Good Luck to all,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

When you read the dipstick after putting in the 7 quarts, what does it show the actual level as being?

Is your sump half full of gunk and sludge that is creating an artificial "bottom"?

I could come over and help you, but by the time I got there, you would have found the problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Warren Rauch

Top ten reasons for overflow of oil;
    1)You forgot to drain old oil
    2)Gas leaking in from bad fuel pump
   3) sludge in pan
    4) Bent oil pan reducing capacity
    5)You should slow down on rough roads
    6)Some one pulling a late APRIL FOOLS joke
    7) can't count to 7
    8)car on steep side hill
    9)Using liters of oil instead of quarts
   10)You sure it was oil and not whipped cream?

Well maybe not ten GOOD  possible reasons, but still I got ten.   Warren

homeonprunehill

Quote from: homeonprunehill on April 23, 2008, 06:46:30 PM
04-23-08
TO ALL;I have a '47 flat-head Cadillac engine and the "dip-stick" and the "motors-manual both says 7 quarts to fillk the crank-case, but, with 7 qts, it will leak out of the "road-draft" tube, and the outside of the "crank-case was wet. I drained about a quart from the crank-case,and i still had a large quanity in the drip pan. Whats going on!!!!?? Good Luck to all,JIM

04-23-08
bruce, The pan is clean of any gunk. It didn't run out of the road-draft tube. I noticed it when I got home last june, it had set for six months. do I have a suprise waiting for me to clean-up? Warren, I got a good laught out of the ten reasons why oil would be leaking.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES