News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What year is this engine cover from?

Started by TedSled66, April 27, 2008, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedSled66

Bought an engine cover for a 429 and I want to make sure it is for a 66 or another year. PN is 1485392CFD 2
Can anyone help? I am ready to tackle an engine cover replacement (I think). I have the shop manual but dont always have special tools like j-21150-1 seal installer. etc..
Any advice or tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

Ted Wilson
San Diego

1966 CDV Convertible
Ted Wilson

Fred Zwicker #23106

I have an original 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertilble with 28,500 original miles.  Attached are two pictures of the engine.  If you need a closeup view of a particular area let me know.  I do not know about the part numbers.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That cover is in fact a 66/67 . I hope you bought a real good one. If it has issues, it may mean lots of labor for nothing.  I have one like new available. Regards, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

TedSled66

Thanks Bob,
Once I tear mine off I can compare it with the one I just bought. My original one has coolant leaking out of it at various thin walled places. Aside from any obvious holes or crackes, what else should I look for? It has the oil pump cover and gears still attached. I can open that up, test the pressure release spring for proper lenght and strength and look for any scoring or chipped gears. Perhaps I should compare both sets of pumps and choose the best looking one? What would you do?

Thanks!
Ted Wilson

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Ted, I think you understand these covers very well. However, the pumps are part of the whole unit, so you need a good pump housing and good water passages to have a good unit. Good Luck. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.