News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Interior water leak by rear window

Started by Armond, April 29, 2008, 01:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armond

1956. There is a water leak at the rear of the interior of the car  between the rear passenger window and the back window that small section of liner area as well as the package tray. There are water stains on both sides of the car. Does anyone know what causes this? If it is the rear window seal, i will replace it. I have seen a couple of other 56's and see that they have the same water stains. Any suggestions? Thanks.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Armond on April 29, 2008, 01:47:50 AM
1956. There is a water leak at the rear of the interior of the car  between the rear passenger window and the back window that small section of liner area as well as the package tray. There are water stains on both sides of the car. Does anyone know what causes this? If it is the rear window seal, i will replace it. I have seen a couple of other 56's and see that they have the same water stains. Any suggestions? Thanks.

04-28-08
Armond, you didn't say how you discovered the leak. Had you been driving in the rain or on wet roads? You may have to replace the "Seals"around the windows. Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Armond on April 29, 2008, 01:47:50 AM
I am not sure, but are there any Drain Tubes at the corners that could possibly be blocked, and any heavy condensation from the inside of the glass cannot get away?

I remember that my '57 Chev had something like that, and seeing as both vehicles used similar GM Construction methods, it might just be plausible.

From memory, I think the tubes exited at the top side of the Inner fender, to the side of the Boot Hinge.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric Falk

Armand,

I had the same problem in the front and rear and discovered the seals were shot.  They looked good but time took its toll on them and they allowed water to leak through them.  It didn't matter if it was raining hard or moderate.  Water tended to puddle in the corners and then leaked inside.

I bought a new front seal and then discovered the rear seal leaked too, now I have to order one of those.  They're expensive but worth every penny.

Eric