News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help with how to adjust a scissor top

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, May 02, 2008, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Hi All,

My 75 Eldo just passed the NYS inspection and it is some car. I am not used to front wheel drive but it is pretty cool having such a long front.
OK, yesterday I tried to drop the top and I noticed something strange. I never had a scissor top before and I have no idea (except for common sense) on how the frame works.
I noticed that the left arm was bending in before the right side as the top was going down. Then I saw the two arms starting to crush my rear glass window (not a good thing) so I stopped. I put the top back up and then the end pins, on the header panel wouldn't line up, so I had to get a flat crow bar (yes, I grabbed the header bar and pulled back but not enough) and move each side so the pins went into the holes.
Can someone with this type of top experience please let me know what to adjust or look for.

Thanks
Jack

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

My 1976 Eldorado had a similar problem. I could never put the top down with out having to tuck in the material into the well as it went down. I would lower it a little, tuck it in, lower it a little and so on until it was in the well. If I didn't do this the whole thing bunched up and looked terrible. Ever see a Volkswagen Beetle with the top down?, not a pretty site. Even after it was down as far as I could get it, getting the fiberglass boot on was another chore. I would literally have to push down hard on the material as I was slipping on the boot. Luckily I never broke the glass. Mine also had the same herky-jerky movement of the arms as they went down. The right one started to fold in way before the left one then they would stack on each other in the well. I had the same problem with the pins lining up as well. When it was as close to the windshield as possible it was off from side to side by about four inches. When I brought it to the shop who replaced the roof, he blamed it all on the new material being too stiff but it would loosen with age. I sold the car after one year after the restoration so I never found out if he was right. You need to find someone experienced with this top. I could not because no one I went to would even dare to make any adjustments. I wish you all the best of luck with your problem. I am sure you are not alone.

TJ Hopland

The details are in the 'body' manual not the regular 'shop' manual.  I have one around here somewhere.  There was a great write up in the self starter 3-4 years ago.  I know I saved it and always meant to put copies in the glove box because among other good info it included the procedure to operate the top 'manually'.  Too many moves since then and I have not been able to locate it.  It is listed in the directory.  Perhaps someone has a copy and can post it? Please  :)
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Fred Zwicker #23106

Even a manual operating top can require some special techniques.  When I lower the top on my 1939 LaSalle, it is helpful to have one person on each side to be sure that the top is centered as it lowers into the well.  Sometimes if lowering the top without help, it tends to push to one side a bit and can hang up on that side.  With help, everything can be centered and it drops into place nicely.  I guess we all know why most convertible tops are usually up.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

Jack,

Before you break something, you will have to read the Manuals and read again.

These tops had a habit of breaking the attacking clips if you didn't follow the operating instructions as well.

I will see if I can send you something on the operations.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon