News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Series 72 part color

Started by jbento, May 03, 2008, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbento

Howdy!

I can't remember what color this part (side hood grills?) is supposed to be.

Behind the chrome edge, on the horizontal slats (A), is this supposed to be body color or black?

And on the wider portion (B) is this supposed to be painted at all or left chromed?  If painted, is it body color or black?

And while we are on the topic, the front grill set (not pictured), it is painted between the chromed ribs (both vertical and horizontal), but what is the proper color supposed to be: black or body color?

My car was originally painted Antoinette Blue (color code 2) but somewhere along its life, the car was re-painted black.  As a result, I cant tell what is supposed to be black, and what should be matched to the body?

Many thanks for all y'alls guidance!
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

homeonprunehill

05-03-08
JOE, "A" should be body*color,    "B"should be chrome(IF IT"S CHROME UNDER THE PAINT).
*Body color. I've told this before. My'38 La Salle's pain't code is also 2 ,when the body/paint shop owner was striping paint, I told him if he saw any BLUE to let me know as I wanted it the original factory color (#2). When I went to get the car it was all black, and he said "black was the only color I saw! later, while painting the "dust shields and floor panels. I saw that the transmission cover was a "tone" of BLUE!!!
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Terry Wenger CLC 1800

Joe:

On the side grilies, the area on the back of the chrome bars(A) is painted semi-gloss black matching the main center grille. The front portion (B) is chrome.

Terry

jbento

Excellent!

That is easy.  I was a tad worried, since when this piece came back from the chrome shop, the section marked B was beautifully chromed, and would be a pain to paint.

Jim, like you, when I inherited this car, it was black.  All black, and I would say a fairly high quality paint job.  It was only after i started taking the car apart and found areas of very dark blue.  In fact, the Antoinette blue was so dark, it was a bit hard to tell it was blue until I saw areas of overspray, where the concentartion was so thin you could see the blue.  Areas like behind the fenders and headlight buckets.

As for me, I worked with the paint shop to come up with something like the Antoinette blue.  In the end, it is NOT the same.  Like the original, it is so dark as to appear black at first glance.  But upon inspection, it has a blue hue to it.  And (apologies to the purists out there) I had them add just a very small touch of pearl to the mix to make what little blue there is in it "pop".  I think it looks GREAT and once it all gets put back together, I can't wait to share photos.
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

homeonprunehill

05-04-08
Joe B. Annotte Blue is amost BLACK My guess would be that it would be about three and a half quarts of Black and one-half quart of dark-BLUE  to the gallion.Good luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES