News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1948 Transmission gasket

Started by vicbrincat, May 05, 2008, 12:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Does anyone know where I can get a gasket for my '48 auto transmission...not the oil pan or the torus to flywheel gasket..I got those...I mean the gasket for the side cover?

I called Coopers and  they don't  carry that gasket. They said I would have to make one....I would make one myself..no problem... but cannot find a sheet of cork gasket material long enough for the lenght of the cover.

Thanks,

Vic Brincat

homeonprunehill

05-04-08
Vic,my older brother use to make gasket from cotton "string". If the gasket in question was "flat" he would mount the cover,leaving the attaching bolts loose, then wrap the string around the bolts two or three times and then torque the bolts. Never had a come-back because of a leak. Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Vic,

Try Olsons ( http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/ ).  If they don't have it, I bet they'll have material stock big enough for you to make one.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

You might try Northwest Transmission. I think the number is 800-327-1955

http://nwtparts.com/

Dave Gillingham

Hi-

There seems to be a degree of mystery surrounding the torus to flywheel connection.  Somebody told me to use varnish on the flywheel, but the techman specifically says not to.  Other than the thin gasket at the perimeter of the flywheel is there any other gasket of sealer required to mate the two up?

Thanks.

vicbrincat

Hi Dave,

I have not done mine yet but the general consensus seems to be a light coating of vaseline simply to hold the gasket in place while mating the two together.
One other important note  ..(and I learned this from a previous experience on my '53) ..is to ensure that you use some kind of a thread sealer on the individual bolts AND to torque the bolts down in the order described in the manual...i,e. not sequential. If I remember correctly, they recommend tightening them down in a  cross-hatch pattern.

Vic