News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle Gas Tank

Started by Kerry Pilling, May 11, 2008, 06:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Pilling

Well I'm still searching for a 39 LaSalle gas tank and it's like totally frustrating.  Can't anyone find a lead on a 39 or 40 gas tank. Heaven knows I've looked. It's been suggested that I use a smaller tank and have it modified but I'd rather have an original if possible. All the leads I've tried so far haven't panned out. Does anyone know if there is any place out there that makes new tanks to order? Any help is most appreciated, I got my tank back from Renu in California and after they got thru probing for rust it's totally useless excvept for the measurements. Happy Motoring and thanks for any help. Kerry

Warren Rauch

Expand your search .Gas tank #3505517 fits  LaSalle 1939-40  all series and Cadillac 1939 series 61 and 1940 series 62 except Comerical Chassis. Warren

Aeroman (Juan Ramirez)

How about a gas tank from a Buick or Pontiac from the same time period?
1939 LaSalle Opera Coupe

wayne #17075

I.have.a.buddy.that.will.make.you.an.aluminum.tank.to.your.specs...(sorry.for.all.the.dots..my.space.bar.broke.and.am.waiting.for.a.new.keyboard)
If.you.email.me.at.....yachtflame@yahoo.com..........I'll.put.you.in.direct.contact.with.him.
Wayne

Ross Dueringer

My tank on my 39 coupe was full of scale so I bought a new tank for a 1950 Chev and put it in.  It has less capacity and it took some figuring out as they are not the same but we made it work (been in for over a year with no problem) and it cost about $200.00.

Kerry Pilling

My Thanks to all who responded. I found out that a company call "Taanks Inc." makes a 53/54 Chevy tank that works fine, you need to use their straps and extend the neck with 2" exhaust pipe. It bolts right up looks good and is brand new for $ 195.00 plus straps for about $ 18.00 more. Kerry

Fred Zwicker #23106

What about the address and phone number for Taanks Inc?   Nothing showed up on Google.   I had my original tank restored by Tank Renu but wouldn't mind keeping this information on file and others could undoubtedly use this as well.  Thanks,
Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kerry Pilling

Hi Fred, I found Tanks Inc. thru firefox. their ph # 320-558-6882.

Tanks Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Clearwater, Mn. 55320
M-Th 8:30 - 4:30 CDT         I hope this helps you and thanks for all your help! Kerry

p.s. I love the cover of your TIP catalog!

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Kerry Pilling on June 11, 2008, 12:50:35 AM

Tanks Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Clearwater, Mn. 55320
M-Th 8:30 - 4:30 CDT         I hope this helps you and thanks for all your help! Kerry

p.s. I love the cover of your TIP catalog!

Kerry - I know what is on the cover, but others may not - and per club rules, I cannot give a plug or provide a link.  However, think it might be permissible for you to tell others on this forum about the new (free catalog) cover and article, since there is a lot of LaSalle info and restoration pictures shown.  Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

baxterculver

Quote from: Kerry Pilling on June 10, 2008, 04:25:37 AM
My Thanks to all who responded. I found out that a company call "Taanks Inc." makes a 53/54 Chevy tank that works fine, you need to use their straps and extend the neck with 2" exhaust pipe. It bolts right up looks good and is brand new for $ 195.00 plus straps for about $ 18.00 more. Kerry
Getting the gas tank in or out of the car without a lift is a real pain.  You really need to elevate the car to do it.  I ended up cutting the neck and rejoining it using fuel hose (2" diameter" and two stainless clamps.  The section of hose was sourced from a local rubber supply house.  It is fuel hose typically used for commercial applications.  You could use the same product to extend your fuel neck the necessary amount and make it easier to get the tank and neck into the exact place you want it.  Food for thought.
baxter culver clc#17184

Kerry Pilling

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on June 11, 2008, 07:32:21 AM
Quote from: Kerry Pilling on June 11, 2008, 12:50:35 AM

Tanks Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Clearwater, Mn. 55320

p.s. I love the cover of your free TIP catalog with the picture of the 39 LaSalle Conv. and all the other great resto pics. I highly recommend the TIP catalog for anyone wanting to restore their car, it's full of great stuff! Kerry

Kerry - I know what is on the cover, but others may not - and per club rules, I cannot give a plug or provide a link.  However, think it might be permissible for you to tell others on this forum about the new (free catalog) cover and article, since there is a lot of LaSalle info and restoration pictures shown.  Fred

Kerry Pilling

Quote from: baxterculver on June 11, 2008, 11:02:18 AM
Quote from: Kerry Pilling on June 10, 2008, 04:25:37 AM
Getting the gas tank in or out of the car without a lift is a real pain.  You really need to elevate the car to do it.  I ended up cutting the neck and rejoining it using fuel hose (2" diameter" and two stainless clamps.  The section of hose was sourced from a local rubber supply house.  It is fuel hose typically used for commercial applications.  You could use the same product to extend your fuel neck the necessary amount and make it easier to get the tank and neck into the exact place you want it.  Food for thought.
Thanks for the input. I already had the car up on jack stands so it wasn't that hard to put the tank in using the new straps from Tanks Inc. I also had the rear fenders off the car which made it easier to position the gas tank. Kerry