News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gas tank Renu services

Started by Bob Richards #13906, May 11, 2008, 01:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Richards #13906

Has anybody used the Gas tank Renu process?  How about work done by "Moyers" out side of Pittsburg,PA? Any others in the New England area?  Thanks for the help, Bob.

Fred Zwicker #23106

I had the gas tank from my 1939 LaSalle done by their Ravenna, Ohio branch.  Was very satisfied.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bob S

I had the gas tank of my 59 coupe done about 5 years ago by the Radiator Hospital in Farmington Mi.  They did a great job and I highly recommend it.   No relationship, just a happy customer.

Kerry Pilling

I tried to use the Gas Tank Renu folks in Calif. I sent my tank to them from my 39 LaSalle but they said they couldm't help me and shipped it back. So make sure before you send it that it's in pretty good shape to start with. It cost me about a saw buck to find out they couldn't fix it. The tank for a 39 LaSalle is hard to find as I've been looking for momths. I found one at Cadillacs of the Forties and Fifties but they want a thousand dollars for it! I'm not rich so I'm going to fix my old tank myself for a lot less money. (See my latest post on gas tank). Happy motoring. Kerry

Matt 12861

I checked this old post out a few weeks ago and based on the good comments, took my tank to the Ravenna, Ohio one.  I am very happy, they still are in business and do good work.  Lifetime warranty, too!.

Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

TJ Hopland

Anyone from the original thread still around?   Curious to hear how its going 8-10 years later.

One person mentioned their tank being in bad shape, I wonder how bad is bad?   Maybe big dents?   They don't do 'body work'?   Or maybe more than a pinhole?     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tom Boehm

Hello, I had a tank from my 1973 Dart restored with the "gas tank renu" process. The only disadvantage is the appearance of the thick coating they put on it. That was OK for my Dart but I decided not to use it for my Lasalle. Other than the appearance I am satisfied with the results.

harry s

I had the tank to my '37 done about 15 years ago and there has been no problem with it. I too wasn't happy with the appearance, but after sanding and refinishing with spray paint it looks fine.
Harry
PS I used the one located in Rockville, MD
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

If requested at least the shop in CA will leave off the ugly outside coating and just use a light primer.  Then the outside can be painted after getting it back.  I have done 5 and all with no problems.  The oldest is 18 years and the youngest has yet to see fuel.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

TJ Hopland

I too was thinking I saw somewhere or read that the outside coating was optional. 

Its good to hear that they last for at least 15 years.     Some of the DIY ones don't seem to come close to that long.   I would guess a lot of it is in the cleaning and prep side of things.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

robert G. smits

I have had 3 tanks done by the Renu people in Waller Texas with great results.  I have seen tanks with 50% of the bottom rusted out at their shop.  Ir you have a really bad tank you may want to sent them photos.  Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Lars Kneller 8246

I had a tank done on my Brand X by the one in Chicago suburbs and was very happy with the result.