News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Drive shaft universal replacement

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, May 16, 2008, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

I want to replace the 3 universals joints in my 1957 cadillac seville . I am really not sure if they need replacing , but i do have a slight  rytham like vibration around 50 miles per hour .  i purchased the universals and have them in my possesion . My question is do i need a specalty shop to do this ,or should any good transmission shop be able to handle this job . i try to do all the work on my car myself , but i just don't want to jack it up and spend alot of time under the car this time .  Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

You don't have to spend much time under your car when doing Universal replacement.

You only need to jack it up, remove the tailshaft as a unit, and then do all the work on the bench, then put it back in the car.

The three universals are easy to replace, and you don't need any special tools.   Just a pair of circlip pliers to get the circlips out, a big hammer to carefully knock the uni cups out and a big vice to press the cups into place.

But, whilst it is out, check the condition of the centre bearing, and its' carrier.   If it is bad, you will need to replace that as well.   I made up the spanner out if 1/2" steel and the square hole fits the standard tools

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Shumate #21509

Bill
The universals may or may not be the answer. Look up topic "57-62 Mystery Vibration" if the vibration persists. This is a common problem.
John Shumate
John Shumate CLC #21509

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Bruce , Thanks for the response , you might of talked me into it , as i am a toolmaker by trade . I just dont like the idea of working under the car . I will let you know how i make out . By the way is the carrier bearing hard to replace and are they available ? Thanks bill
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 16, 2008, 06:39:58 AM
G'day Bill,

You don't have to spend much time under your car when doing Universal replacement.

You only need to jack it up, remove the tailshaft as a unit, and then do all the work on the bench, then put it back in the car.

The three universals are easy to replace, and you don't need any special tools.   Just a pair of circlip pliers to get the circlips out, a big hammer to carefully knock the uni cups out and a big vice to press the cups into place.

But, whilst it is out, check the condition of the centre bearing, and its' carrier.   If it is bad, you will need to replace that as well.   I made up the spanner out if 1/2" steel and the square hole fits the standard tools

Bruce. >:D
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello john , Thanks for the response .  I do not think the universals were ever replaced in my car so i think it is time to change them . Also the carrier bearing . However the vibration does bother me . I noticed you have a great looking 58 .John have you had the vibration problem as well ?  Mine starts around 45 to 50 miles per hour .  i will let you know how i make out . Thanks Again Bill
Quote from: John Shumate #21509 on May 16, 2008, 04:58:34 PM
Bill
The universals may or may not be the answer. Look up topic "57-62 Mystery Vibration" if the vibration persists. This is a common problem.
John Shumate
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

John Shumate #21509

Bill
I have not gotten rid of my vibration. Mine is harmonic in the 50-60 MPH range.
Easiest way to do the joints is to pull the shaft and take it to a driveshaft shop, where they can balance the shaft.
If the carrier bearing requires removal, be careful not to harm the rubber bushing in which it sits. The part has no replacement. Its housing is spot welded together. Drill all the spot welds and carefully separate the pieces. Reassemble with bolts.
John
John Shumate CLC #21509