News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lap Robe

Started by doug lansing, May 16, 2008, 01:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug lansing

Does anyone have an original LAP ROBE the type that would hang from the rope on the rear of the front seat?  In 1949 they were an option, I believe for the 60 or 75 models.  My old option document describes them as a combination of alpaca and wool.  I'd like to hear from someone who has an original, to see exactly how they were made, perhaps towards the possibility of having some reproduced???  Any thoughts on the subject?  Doug Lansing 21659

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I believe that in the classic era (1920s-1940s), one side of the robe was made in the material of the upholstery, and the other side the wool/alpaca choice. If this is so, then you could use either broadcloth/Bedford Cord on one side and the wool/alpaca on the other. (If this would match your car...) However, given the small use of a classic style car in cold weather, and the varied colors and materials, I don't see how this could be a paying proposition for you. Rather, I would think that an individual would have better luck having his upholsterer do this as part of his job on the car.
Be that as it may, it is a really cool idea, to have the additional item in it's proper place in the rear compartment.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry

This is a bit off the topic, but am I correct that a lap robe was offered as an option for the '74 - '76 Fleetwoods--maybe the Talisman ?
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

doug lansing

Barry......good info and I agree with what you say.  My question was really wondering out loud if there might be enough interest for a club to sponsor such an item, not me personally.  I agree that most old cars don't get alot of winter use.  Then again, there are those of us that are inclined to add various options to our cars, even if we don't actually use them.  A lap robe may be a stretch.

harvey b

Hello All, i have only seen 1 of these robes on e-bay and it went for over 400.00 they would look simple enough to repro,the only hard part would be the cadillac label that was on the one i seen,it was about 3 inches square and identified it as a cadillac robe,but any good embroidery shop should be able to make one up.Myself i would love to have one for the rear of my car too.again any good seamstress should be able to make a good copy? HTH  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

doug lansing

My car's new paint is almost done and then the chrome will be installed, and I expect I'll be wondering what to do next.  Then I'll re-check the specifications of the original lap robe, then check on alpaca and repro wool, see if I can get a picture of the original Cadillac label or script or whatever it was, and then determine if I want to continue.  If so, I'll post the results.

veesixteen

Despite their small size, these images of an authentic 30s Cadillac lap-robe might be of some help:

www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_pho/robe1.jpg
www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_pho/robe2.jpg

Quote from: doug lansing on May 17, 2008, 11:11:35 AM
My car's new paint is almost done and then the chrome will be installed, and I expect I'll be wondering what to do next.  Then I'll re-check the specifications of the original lap robe, then check on alpaca and repro wool, see if I can get a picture of the original Cadillac label or script or whatever it was, and then determine if I want to continue.  If so, I'll post the results.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

TerryWenger #1800

Doug:

When I had my 32 355B upholstered, I had the upholster sew up a lap robe, It was the Bedford cord upholstery on one side and a alpaca type material on the other. It was sewn the same as the ones pictured in Yann's database. I don't have the Cadillac label for it though. Barry was right, it isn't hard to make.

Terry

homeonprunehill

USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

homeonprunehill

Quote from: homeonprunehill on May 17, 2008, 11:28:47 PM

05-18-08
Doug, My post was lost-night, so,will continue. Doug, I hate to be the one to tell you, but, you are NEVER DONE There will always be something to do. Doug, I have heard of "ALPACA" but have not heard of "REPRO" wool, just what is it? Which reminds me, how do the materal salemen know that the sheep are virgin when they are talking about "virgin- wool"??? Good Luck,JIM

homeonprunehill

Quote from: veesixteen on May 17, 2008, 03:00:37 PM
Despite their small size, these images of an authentic 30s Cadillac lap-robe might be of some help:

www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_pho/robe1.jpg
www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_pho/robe2.jpg

05-18-08
DOUG, looks like your prayers were answered by yann Sanders. you should be able to blow-up the pictures that yann posted for you. You just have to find an embroider that will make you a lable,or else buy your wife a new sewing machine that will embroder letters. It looks like you will not have any trouble with the letters ,but, you may have touble dulpicating the Cadillac and La Salle logo.

35-709

:D :D Re: Virgin wool ---- for Jim.
First, remember (and understand) the term refers to the wool, not the animal.
Secondly (from Wikipedia), the definition of Virgin wool is -----
Virgin wool is wool spun for the first time, as contrasted with shoddy.[12]

Shoddy or recycled wool is made by cutting or tearing apart existing wool fabric and respinning the resulting fibers.[13] As this process makes the wool fibers shorter, the remanufactured fabric is inferior to the original. The recycled wool may be mixed with raw wool, wool noil, or another fiber such as cotton to increase the average fiber length. Such yarns are typically used as weft yarns with a cotton warp. This process was invented in the Heavy Woollen District of West Yorkshire and created a micro-economy in this area for many years.

For the whole interesting Wikipedia article about wool go to ---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool.

P.S.  I have an original lap robe that was my Grandmother's, I do not know what year it is.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2