News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brakes

Started by Kerry Pilling, May 17, 2008, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Pilling

I'm rebuilding the brakes on my 39 LaSalle and I'm going to change the system over to DOT 5 Silicon brake fluid. My Question: What is the best thing to use for cleaning the old brake cylinders? I'm using all new stainless steel brake lines but I'm rebuilding the master and the wheel cylinders. They are all in good shape after honing. I'm just not sure what the best thing is to clean them all with when I'm done. I thought about using alcohol but wonder if it mightr affect the rubber. Opinions appreciated and advice is golden. Thanks, Happy Motoring. Kerry

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I suggest you put "DOT 5" or "silicone fluid" into the search option of the
forum.  This topic has been discussed numerous times and in great detail.

Short advice:  This is not a simple, easy conversion unless you are going to
rebuild the ENTIRE brake system and replace all rubber parts don't do it!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kerry Pilling

Mike, I have researched this topic and since I'm totally rebuilding the system and have seen the military's results with DOT 5, I'm convinced that it's the only way to go for people who only drive their collector cars in summer or occasionally! I'm using all new rubber rebuild kits the only thing I'm reusing is the old but rehoned wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I have all new stainless steel lines. I just need to clean up the cylinders after honing and was wondering what was best to use. I mistakenly said to clean the rubber. What I meant was I want to use a cleaner that won't contaminate the new rubber I put back in the rebuilt cylinders! Thanks for looking. Happy Motoring. Kerry

harvey b

Hello Kerry, i used dot 5 fluid in my 37,i had the master cyl rebuilt,used 4 new wheel cylinders all new lines and new rubber brake hoses out to the wheels and a new stop light switch,so all the parts were new and clean of the old fluid.you can use alchol to "rinse" the old fluid out of the cylinders and use compressed air to blow dry them,i have had no problems with my brakes yet,the only thing i wish i had did was to buy a stop light switch from ron francis wiring,they have one for dot 5 fluid and it takes less pedal pressure to activate,this way my brake lites come on sooner,as my tail lites are small i need all the help i can get.i was able to buy a new set of rubber lines on e-bay from a seller in argentina,his ebay name is luchonota,do a seller search and his name will pop up,they have tons of new hoses,ask him for your car and he will have them,prices are very reasonable too.they claim the pedal is to feel spongy with dot 5 fluid,i have not found this,also do not shake the bottle before you add the fluid as it will have air bubbles.i am happy with my brake job so far,no problems yet. HTH  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Kerry:

I fully agree that silicone fluid (DOT 5) is the way to go -- I just like to
caution folks about what the conversion means -- doing it right is critical.
Sounds like you are on the right path.

You are "right on" -- as long as you replace all of the rubber parts
(including brake lines) you will be fine.  Cleaning the rehoned brake
cylinders with denatured alcohol will work fine.  Brake hoses (which you
need to replace) can be had from many vendors, including Kanter Auto
Parts in NJ.

If I can be of any further help, just let me know.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kerry Pilling

Thanks Guys, I'm using new brake hoses, rebuild kits, and new S.S. brake lines. The only thing that I'm not sure of is that stop lite switch. I bought a new off ebay but I don't know if it's for Silicon or not, is there a special number on the sw that would tell me. Otherwise I will have to get another one. Thanks to all who responded. Jappy Motoring. Kerry

harvey b

Hello Kerry, the dot 3 type of switch will work with silicone or regular fluid,the only reason i wanted a switch from Ronfrancis is for the lower pedal pressure to activate it,i am planning to change mine this summer,it is at the rear of the master cylinder and isnt a big deal to change.Ron Francis Wiring has a web site and a great catalog,do a google search and it will pop up,has a lot of hard to find stuff for wiring,they do mostly street rods,but they have some antique stuff too.Good Luck  let us know how it works out.  Harvey B
Harvey Bowness